In-store finance blooper?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taylor200588, May 4, 2010.

1. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

Hey

So i got a new MBP today, buts its on a finance thing! I asked if I could put down a £100 deposit to bring the monthly figures down so he put it all through and got the go ahead. He made me sign a few bits of paper, handed me the laptop and said "There we go all sorted! Thank you very much" and off I went. It wasnt until i was on the way up the road that I realised he didnt take my £100 deposit !!!

Is this normal? will they take it off later? or did the guy make a cock up?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

The credit agreement should indicate if you've paid something already. He possible has forgotten to take it off. Go back and speak to them.

5. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

I've just checked the credit thing the guy gave me, it said there was an advance payment, so he has taken the £100 off plus 15% student discount off which was £119

I basically got a Macbook Pro for £780 !!

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Nice. I'm tempted by the 15", but £53 per month for 3 years doesn't excite me too much.

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Did you pay £100 pounds or not? I gather from the documents it says you did? So you have walked off with out paying?

8. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

I offered to pay £100 deposit then when i went back to pick it up he didn't ask me for it! Completely his fault. However they might contact me about it.

Yeah I wanted the 15 inch one but couldn't afford the payments, I
    happy with £27 a month :)

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Or you could simply be honest and go pay it as you agreed to. A clear conscious is priceless...

10. EasyJW macrumors member

seeing as you've gone on credit, they'll maybe realise and charge it to you later [​IMG]

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just so you know..... even if the first fellow messed and forgot to collect your 100 quid initially, someone will need to balance his receipts to sales. Then if that 2nd person doesn't catch it, there will be an auditor looking for unbalanced accounts.

At some point someone is going to catch it, and then they will contact you.

You are legally obliged to pay it, sooner or later. The fact that they didn't charge you immediately does not discharge that part of the debt.

Go back to the store immediately, and track down the fellow and 'fess up. He may end up being so relieved he shoots you a little something on the side (and if he just looks happy that you are saving him some grief from his boss, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask him for a favour - something small like a case, or a earphones.... etc)

12. Coldmode macrumors regular

When I worked in retail I would have **** myself to lose 100 quid in the shuffle of every day business. If you do go back and offer to clear things up I'm sure you'll get at least a pint or two out of it. Not to mention you'll probably be saving some poor guy's arse.

13. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

I'll call up the store and ask them about it. I dont want to get the guy into any trouble, and I personally dont want to get into any trouble.

Shame, an extra £100 is always handy, being a poor student and all :p