"In Store Only" at BB is a GOOD Thing!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JenBen75, Mar 24, 2011.

1. JenBen75 macrumors newbie

So I did my morning routine of checking stock at BB and Target and see that the BB lists it as "In Store Only." We had thought that meant that they had them but they were already reserved for folks. I decided to go in anyway at opening and they checked the stock and they had a ton of 64GB Black ones. I already had a reservation for a 32GB and they guy checked and mine had come in. There was another customer wanting the 32GB so I gave him mine and bought the 64GB for myself.

If it says "In Store Only" still go in and check. I wouldn't even call. The folks that answer the phone usually do not know or don't care to answer you. Even when I got there, the employees had to hunt for the shipment so there is still hope!!

So happy now that I don't have to wait! BB was a lot more reliable than the Apple Store. I reserved at BB on March 14th and it came in today. :D

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

There are two BBs by me now showing stock. Looks like the slow boat from China finally arrived. :D

3. MBPLurker macrumors member

"In Store Only" only means they are in the store. The system has no way to distinguish if they are waiting for reservations or not. I'd call the store first.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

I completely agree. I called, they said they had one and held it for me. I would definitely call first. I tried the same thing for a friend at some other best buys, and they told him, sorry all reserved.

5. mwjd299 macrumors regular

That's the story I got when I called my local BB.

6. aserafin macrumors member

It's been hit or miss for me. Sometimes the people on the phone have no idea(or give incorrect/inconsistent information), and it is still worth your time to go check the store. Be sure to find a manager or someone else that looks like they know what they are doing to get a firm answer as often the customer service and geek squad don't know about the inventory... Was able to snag a 32gb yesterday, only 1 in the store that wasn't already reserved!

7. sblanford macrumors newbie

I would go into the store and check. I called my local Best Buy (North Scottsdale AZ) yesterday and they said they didn't have any when the web site said "In Store Only". The Best Buy was on my way to an appointment and I went in and checked. The guy on the floor said they had them. Bought my 64GB At&t Black and was out the door in 5 minutes. It looked like they had 20 - 30 more in the case as well.

Now I have my unlimited plan transferred over and I am happy that I can use an iPad again!:)

8. Byrd12 macrumors newbie

I had a good BB experience yesterday myself. I saw the "in store only" and I called. The guy said yea they had black Att 64. I drove a hour popped in got one and was on my way. My black cover came 5 mins ago from fedex. I'm a happy camper. Just waiting for my dodobook skin for the back and my journey will be complete. :D:D

9. chekuri75 macrumors member

i have reservation in st louis and am first. called they said none in stock even though online inventory check showed in store this am (now unavailable). i think they might be handing those out to people who go there and ask. so i sure recommend going there in person if it shows in store.

10. doandy09 macrumors member

for the first time i see "in store only" but called the stores around me and said it was only for people that pre ordered :(

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I used to work at BB trust me, a few people might know whats going on, but some people have no clue and when big items e.g. xbox 360, wiis, ps3s, ipads, come in and sell out fast and they recieve a ton of phone calls about them people get tired of the phone calls and dont care to actually check the system to see if its reserved or not and will just say they are all taken sorry and hang up.

best to go in and check.

12. JenBen75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have the Dodo case for your iPad 2? How do you like it? I like the looks of it but am not sure how well it will hold up.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't waste your time calling. On more than one occasion this week the phone person said "none available" and when I visited the store twenty minutes later they had units available for walk-in purchase (i.e. they'd sold through the reservations on those models and had extras). None were what I wanted for myself though.

14. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

How I wished I knew that. My local BB had almost all the different configs on Tuesday ("In store only") based on the inventory checker. :eek: Called them up & a few other BB stores closest to me, but all I got was the "standard" reply saying that the ones they've got are all for people who reserved them. Unfortunately, all of those available models are "unavailable" at my local BB store based on the inventory checker as of now. :(

Oh well, I'll just have to wait & if they get in new stock & I've still not gotten mine yet, I'll make sure I make a trip over to ask in person. :) Wish me luck. :)

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

My local Best Buy stores are a complete disaster, imo

Several of the stores have iPad 2's available yet depending on who you talk to, you may get different answers.

I told my story the other day in another thread about a Best Buy rep telling me how he had none available then a woman walked in and told the rep that she knew an employee (she said his name) and that she didnt have a reservation but that she was told he would put one on the side for her. Guy went back and got it.

Also was told at another store that they had none yet while talking to another rep later (I was looking at 3DTV's) was told they did in fact have a few left. All Verizon though so I couldnt get them (I must stick with AT&T for work reasons)

16. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

This. I have nothing against retail employees, being one myself, but when I think about Best Buy, the customer service lobe of my brain is not activated.

Are BB employees commissioned? The ones I've known personally worked at the store long enough to buy $5k of equipment on the employee discount and then quit.