in-store or at home activation with 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omegaphil6, Jun 12, 2009.

1. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

I have a Family plan and 5 lines on it. The two lines i want to upgrade to 3Gs's are the lines that currently have launch day 3G's and before that had launch day 2G's. So those 2 lines say i have to wait until July 12th to uypgrade for $199. HOWEVER 2 of my other lines currently are eligible for the $199 price right now (pre-order). My question is, can I use those eligible numbers to order the iPhones and then activate them through iTunes using the non-eligible numbers?

I am assuming if the activation is in-home through iTunes then it wouldnt matter because it will ask for the phone number when you sync it up the first time. BUT will the AT&T stores sell them and have customers take them home to activate or will we have to stand there as the servers go down 11 minutes into the launch again like it did last year?

Any thoughts?

2. rsmith652 macrumors member

You will have to activate them under the lines that are eligible and then call in to ATT and get them switched over to the lines that you want to use them on.

3. omegaphil6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am curious as how you arrived at this? I have purchased new phones through premier on eligible lines and used the phone on any line i choose with no issues... how will the iphone be different? when you attach an unactivated iphone to itunes it asks for the phone number that is to be associated with this iphone, what stops me from putting in my current iphone 3G numbeR?