Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Im planning to pick up an Imac 24"

Is it better to go to store and pick one up or should I order it online? I am worry about the bad screen problem and let's say if I order it online. Do I have to use my own money to ship it back for exchange or apple will take care of shipping both way? Thanx

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
waiting is the worst part, go to the store.

I don't think they offer the refurbs in the store, so that'd be my only reason for ordering online.

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I forgot to mention

Im planning to get the 2.8 GHz 24" mac with 8800 video card. I dont think they have that in store???

I think they only have the 24" 2.8 Ghz with 2600 video card in store right?

Maybe I can just get the 3.0 GHz 24" mac in store that one come with the 8800 videocard but people seem to think that the extra GHz is not worth the 180$ extra...

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Im planning to pick up an Imac 24"

Is it better to go to store and pick one up or should I order it online? I am worry about the bad screen problem and let's say if I order it online. Do I have to use my own money to ship it back for exchange or apple will take care of shipping both way? Thanx

If you want a non-standard configuration (CTO) you HAVE to buy from Apple's online store.

If you have to return it Apple will pay for all shipping costs for exchanges and repairs.

DO NOT BUY extra memory from apple. They are way over priced. Get memory from NewEgg or some other online source. You will pay half or less then Apple charges AND you get to keep the original memory that came with the iMac as backup or for sale on eBay.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
If you want a non-standard configuration (CTO) you HAVE to buy from Apple's online store.

If you have to return it Apple will pay for all shipping costs for exchanges and repairs.

DO NOT BUY extra memory from apple. They are way over priced. Get memory from NewEgg or some other online source. You will pay half or less then Apple charges AND you get to keep the original memory that came with the iMac as backup or for sale on eBay.

I've looked for memory. I must say I really don't know what to look for. But with the student discount an additional 180 from 2GB to 4GB doesn't seem that bad. What is the price diff?

What could possibly happen to your memory that you would need to keep it as a backup?

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I've looked for memory. I must say I really don't know what to look for. But with the student discount an additional 180 from 2GB to 4GB doesn't seem that bad. What is the price diff?

What could possibly happen to your memory that you would need to keep it as a backup?

After rebate and shipping I paid $67 for 4GB of RAM for my iMac. It's an even better deal now. Here is the same memory on sale now. It's $79 + $6.99 shipping with a $25 rebate. Your final cost is $60.99.

The reason to keep the old memory? If you have an odd problem sometimes its failed memory, swapping out known good memory takes the one thing you can replace out of the list of possibilities. It's nice to have just in case. If you look around these forums you will see a number of threads where the solution was replacing the memory.

If you send your Mac to Apple for repair and they decide to replace the entire Mac will they remove the increased capacity memory from your original Mac and install it in your new one? I doubt it. I'm not sure what their internal processes are on exchanges, but I would prefer to keep my purchased memory and return the Mac with the OEM memory.

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
This is crazy....

I went to the retail store today. I decided last night that I will get the 3.06GHz for 2059.99 which mean Im willing to pay 180$ extra for more processor power.

Anyway I walked in the store and asked one of the employee there the price and they said it's 1900$ instead of the 2059$ for the same model and everything.

That 150$ extra saving. Yay for me :)

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
After rebate and shipping I paid $67 for 4GB of RAM for my iMac. It's an even better deal now. Here is the same memory on sale now. It's $79 + $6.99 shipping with a $25 rebate. Your final cost is $60.99.

The reason to keep the old memory? If you have an odd problem sometimes its failed memory, swapping out known good memory takes the one thing you can replace out of the list of possibilities. It's nice to have just in case. If you look around these forums you will see a number of threads where the solution was replacing the memory.

If you send your Mac to Apple for repair and they decide to replace the entire Mac will they remove the increased capacity memory from your original Mac and install it in your new one? I doubt it. I'm not sure what their internal processes are on exchanges, but I would prefer to keep my purchased memory and return the Mac with the OEM memory.

Good deal w/ the RAM!¡! I will definitely be getting this

bkmarket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
on ur link for the newegg RAM, it say for laptop. So that mean imac use laptop ram???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.