In Store Pick up... How will it work? 9/19

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zuckuss00, Sep 12, 2014.

1. zuckuss00 macrumors member

I opted to go in store pickup because Apple would only ship to my billing address connected to my account.

How is this going to work on launch day? Will there be 2 separate lines for pre orders? Or just one huge line?

Since these pre orders are paid for, how long will/if Apple hold the item for me?

Can I just show up whenever I like later in the day after the initial rush and pick up the phone. I'm I guaranteed one?

Those who have done this before, what was your experience?

Thanks

2. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

3. Qu3st macrumors member

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm confused on this as well. All I got was a we're processing this for you email?

5. Qu3st macrumors member

If anyone can conform how the pick up works please do. Like are we going to be charged now or while picking up..... thanks

6. grizzy macrumors member

I think the main question is will they have a separate line for the "pre Order pickups".

I would have to think so. Can't imagine they'll have you waiting in those crazy long launch day lines.

7. marty2272 macrumors newbie

I hope we have a seperate queue, and can join just before our alloted slot. My pick-up slot (in UK) is between 10am and 11am so I don't want to join a massive queue, miss my slot, and my phone is sold to someone ahead in the queue.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I did in-store pickup for the iPhone 5. I don't remember when it charged me, but I spoke to a rep this morning who said I wouldn't get charged until the phone shipped to the store, likely a few days before the 19th.

You do not have to wait in the crazy long lines. You will receive an e-mail at some point (usually mid-morning) saying your phone is available to pick up. After that, you walk in, skip the line, find an open associate, tell them you're here to pick up your pre-order and that you got your email. They'll go to the back, bring it out front, and you're set.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

So other than my initial email that I received 1 second after placing my order, I shouldn't expect another email until the 19th?

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I honestly don't remember how it worked before. If you happen to talk to a rep, let us know what they say. We may get one when it has shipped to the store, or we may not..not too clear on that.

Just keep tabs on your order status on Apple.com, should keep you as up to date as you need to be.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Thanks for the summary. Do they give you the sealed box and you are on your way or do they insist on opening it and activating first?

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I did an in store pickup for the 4, and the way they did it was there were two gigantic lines, one for those with reserves and one for those who were just walk ins. Both took a while but I was able to get mine by 8:30am, while my friend who was walk in wasn't able to get his until noon.

Either way, it involved waiting in line if you wanted to get it early in the morning, so I just had it delivered to my house this time.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Again, I did this for the iPhone 5 (bought my 5s earlier this year just walking in as normal), and unfortunately I don't remember..

I know I left the store with it opened, but I don't remember if they did that or if I did!

14. zuckuss00 thread starter macrumors member

I remember with the iPhone 3G. I was required to open the phone at the store to "accept" it. That was still a few weeks after launch though, so no lines.

I had the 4 and 5 shipped to me.

Did anyone here do the 5s launch day in store pick up?

How did it go. Did the lines go quicker?

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Yep, me too for the 4. You still go through the same process as the walk ins, your line just goes faster, but it still required waiting in line. Unless you go with a friend, it just isn't worth it, to me at least, to go fight the crowds when you can have it delivered to your front door, if you'll be home or have someone there to sign for it.

16. zuckuss00 thread starter macrumors member

Are you guaranteed a phone?

Since these are paid for, they should be reserved correct?

Can I just walk in at like 3PM after the inital crowds have died off and pick it up? or do I need to actually show up at 8AM?

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's the same as if it was delivered to your house - it is yours. If you show up that day to the store, it will be sitting in the back with your name on it, reserved for when you pick it up.

However, I do remember them saying they only hold it for a certain amount of time. It might be a couple of days, so maybe check with a rep for clarification.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The way it worked for the 4 was you had till the end of the day to pick up your phone, or they'd sell it to someone else the next day. Not sure how it is now - if they hold it indefinitely or if they still have that 1 day period.

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can go whenever.

I advise against being there at the start. They can't give you your reservation until it clears their system. Some back room voodoo. You'll get an email saying it's ready when it's actually available.

I had to wait over half an hour past being at the front, along with 3-4 others waiting for something to happen in the back room to trigger for the iPad Air.

20. zuckuss00 thread starter macrumors member

Thats good to know.

I'll probably just show up later that afternoon after to rush has died down.