Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What option is best?

• Home delivery

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • In-store pickup

Votes: 28 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Lyon, France
Sorry for another topic about those things, but I just can't decide on which option to choose. I just really want it day one, and as early as possible.
So here are my questions:

Is in-store pickup good? Wouldn't there be too much crowd/wait line? Enough stock? (42mm SS Sport band)
And if I pre-order on 10th as fast as I can, does home delivery guarantee I get it on 24th?

I'm asking this mostly to people who had past experience with those things and know how early they got their Apple products on launch day. Thanks.

Last edited:

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I still love the experience of going to the Apple store... sort of make an adventure out of it. I wills schedule time out of my day to go and get it, take a few friends along who will also be buying one, and then sit around and hardcore fanboy over our new gadgets.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
well considering no one really knows if store pickup with be an option when it goes live, I have no idea what I will pick.

Some apple live chat reps say it will be an option, others say it will not.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
There is no word as to whether in store pick up will be available or not. From recent reports it looks like it maybe available in the US but not in other countries. If this is the case then here in the UK in store pick up won't be an option.

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
well considering no one really knows if store pickup with be an option when it goes live, I have no idea what I will pick.

Some apple live chat reps say it will be an option, others say it will not.

Yes, it will, I saw it on Apple's site.

From the site:

"Reserve for pickup in store
Choose your Apple Watch online and make a reservation to buy it at an Apple Store. We’ll have it waiting for you when you arrive."

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Lyon, France

From the site:

Choose your Apple Watch online and make a reservation to buy it at an Apple Store. We’ll have it waiting for you when you arrive."

Yeah from the official and US site, but that's not the question here.

I'm asking for opinions on if I should pick it up in-store or just receive it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

From the site:

There is a strong belief that is not true for orders when it first goes live. Some chat reps have said home delivery will be the only option for the first preorders.

That is just what I have seen posted here.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH

Why do you need other people to tell you this? Do what you want. Just consider what time FedEx typically delivers, what appointment is available, and what works best for you. We can't possibly know this for you.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I'll take a reservation if the stock is available, otherwise, home delivery. Whichever gets me my item faster. I like reservations, because, I can go in after work instead of hoping to meet the delivery guy sometime between 9am and 8pm on delivery day.

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Why do you need other people to tell you this? Do what you want. Just consider what time FedEx typically delivers, what appointment is available, and what works best for you. We can't possibly know this for you.

I think he means, which is more likely to get him the watch on day 1.

It's pretty much a crap shoot.
Highly doubt the store will fail to hold one for you if you preorder, but there might be lines (even for pre-order because there will ONLY be preorder).

If you get Fedex or whatever, you just have to make sure that you're home/wherever when it comes, otherwise you'll have to go pick it up at the facility.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
While I used the "home delivery" option in the poll, it's actually going to be coming to my office. That way there is someone around to sign for it.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
If you want a good chance of getting the watch on April 24th, choose for your watch to be delivered to your home.

Apple stores may be an 'adventure' in other parts of the country, but I can confirm for you here (in NYC) it is not and it is very much a negative, stressful, trying experience. Even during days without a launch. I also don't expect the stock to last very long at the stores given the madness factor.

The home deliveries come from a centralized stock location and are most likely very much in number. Home delivery + 'working from home' is going to be my plan on both April 10th and the 24th. :apple:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Considering that I don't even live anywhere near an Apple Store. I'm going with delivery. I'll actually be out of town for work the day/night before launch day, but I'm having it shipped to my office. Based on typical UPS/FedEx delivery times where I work, it should be at my office before I am. I have to drop off some equipment when I get back into town, so I'll drop off the equipment, get my watch and go home (I'm supposed to be "off" that day anyway).

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

The point is it's already been stated that the likely hood of walking in and buying one on launch day or anytime soon after won't be possible. You're going to have to order online. The point with that is that it is also looking like ordering online and choosing to pick up in store won't be available at least outside the U.S.

From your information it looks like you live in France. It's in all likely hood you will have to order online for home/work delivery if you want it at launch. As it stands no one knows exactly what options will be available in different countries yet and we may not know until Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.