In-store pickup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fryday444, Sep 15, 2011.

1. fryday444 macrumors member

So in the next month or two I'm looking to purchase my first Mac. Without going into any long stories, I don't really want the Mac shipped to my house and would much rather order it online and pick it up in a Apple Store. Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I agree

Go in there and make sure you have the one you want.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I tried that last year but they didn't let me. Not sure if this is general or local policy though but I assume the former.

4. fryday444 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm asking if they don't have the exact model I want in store, is it still possible to get it sent there?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

Foot down Time...Gently but firm.

You have rights. Use them:)

6. fryday444 thread starter macrumors member

This seems a bit...dumb...on Apple's part. If I am willing to spend the money, and it costs them nothing, I wonder why they would not allow this? :confused:

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your right it should matter, cant the store order the model you want for you?

why don't you want it delivered to you?

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Not sure, but its still worth asking your local store just in case.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You are thinking of the big picture right? Do you think an Apple store can manage holding thousands of received Apple MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac Pros, and MBAs that get delivered?

Yea it's easy to say, "hey, they should be able to hold it and I pick it up" but what if 1000 people said that, all at the same time?

Then you'd be complaining about the wait. There's no reason to have it sent to the store, that's like ordering something from Walmart or Best Buy and having it delivered to their store instead of your home.

Wastes resources, time, and money on both parties part.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Really bad example, as both those retailers offer a "ship-to-store" option...

I don't understand why Apple doesn't offer a ship to store option either, but I guess they can do whatever they want...

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

These statements aren't always truths. If one lives in a shady area, I could see wanting it sent to a safer area, rather than take the gamble that you will be around to pick it up (not everyone can be available at a moments notice to receive things and some places, like school mail rooms won't accept packages from FedEx and UPS).

As for the waste of resources and money, that could be proven to be the exact opposite. In the case of a some items and where the person lives, it can be more energy efficient to drop ship to the store. The warehouses are already shipping multiple items to the store, so what is one more item on their own truck worth (pennies at best)??? On the flip side if they ship to your residence it could take an entirely different shipping route and company, whcihc could cost more in fuel and time to make the extra trip to your place.

----------

Probably the same reason that they don't have a purchase in cash option (although they have been known to make exceptions when the press gets involved).

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

most likely its to not take away sales from the store, i know i know its all the same money pot but why have a human working the store to hand you something that was sold online?

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

you mean i couldn't go to an Apple store and buy a laptop in cash? that's very good to know :(

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

never mind a laptop what about a $70 mouse? do they really not take cash ever??

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

This story was big when it broke: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=7447037

No law exists that says someone must accept cash for the sale of goods. The store accepting cash is at their discretion (the laws state that all must accept cash for payments of incurred debts, but stores are exempt as they are not required to sell to someone, therefor not allowing them to incur debt).

16. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Be sure to take a look at amazon and other websites. Those sites tend to be cheaper than buying from Amazon. Also wait a bit for the mini spec bump for the macbook pro thats suppose to be coming before christmas.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple does (and always has) accepted cash for Macs.

For a period, they didn't accept cash when a new iPhone/iPad launched, when there wasn't enough supply to meet the demand. So Apple would only accept "plastic" for those purchases, and after you had paid for two on a card, you couldn't ever use the card again to buy more, until they dropped that requirement a few months later (when supply caught up with demand). The reason they did that was because it makes it much more difficult for scalpers to get the product. They got bad press over it, and dropped that policy with the launch of the iPad 2. You can google for articles on how difficult it was for some to get iPads because scalpers came back in full force.

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I always just assumed they took cash, because, well, it's cash.

19. fryday444 thread starter macrumors member

There is zero chance of me being home to accept the delivery is the main reason. There are a few other reasons, but the first is the main one. Do Apple Stores usually carry MBPs with extended options (Matte screen)?

20. EvenStranger macrumors member

The refusal to take cash for iPhones and iPads was to control black/gray market sales overseas. The idea was that using a credit card provided a paper trail so that a single user couldn't load up on 100 iPhones and resell them for 2-3x retail in a foreign market. More of an issue if you're working somewhere where foreign nationals are more common - our store was next to a cruise ship port.

21. Young Spade macrumors 68020

And again, you aren't looking at the big picture. Somebody lives in a shady area? Chances are they aren't buying apple products. It is simply more complicated and would cost more resources to have the ability to hold items at the store. They just aren't large enough.

I understand what you are saying, but simply picking out one nuance of my argument and using that against it doesn't take away from the main point of what I was saying.

You're arguing as to the positives as to delivering at the store, but it simply is not doen, and there are a plethora of reasons why; some of those I listed.

There is a reason they aren't doing it, and it isn't just "because it's simpler to deliver to homes" or "because I want to".

Think on a larger scale; one person complaining here isn't justification enough to have them start holding thousands of items after repairs.

----------

Have it shipped to where you work? Or a friends house? Or a family members house? It isn't like you have to get it exactly when it comes, have it sent somewhere where they can hold it for you to pick up later.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup this is what i did, you have to have the bill address match the credit card but you can ship anywhere

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Certainky Is Not

Take it back, be politen if you do not get the level of service that you atr entitled to, ask to speak to the manager.

You would need ti carry petrol would children invoved