In Store purchase of MacBook Pro, Lion ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colonel Badger, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

So if I walk in to an Apple store this weekend and buy a MacBook Pro, will it have Lion pre-installed ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If history is any indicator, then no. There's still plenty of SL macs in the pipeline

3. head honcho 123, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

8 ball says:
    outlook not good (aka no)

apple already said they will sell USB flash disks (i think for $69) in the future...

if u go now it will not have it installed.

you will prob need to download from mac app store.

edit:
    source: http://www.cultofmac.com/lions-mac-...-end-in-august-with-69-usb-thumb-drive/105382

4. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

I'm also looking to pick up a new Macbook Pro in store. I was hoping that it would have Lion on it when I purchased it, but we shall see. I've been trying to get a call in to the local apple store but they are super busy right now so no help there. I'll try again later. The more I think about it the more I'm okay with buying the SL machine and downloading Lion. the main reason that I wanted a fresh lion was the restore media as well as a fresh start for a fresh operating system and new computer. I can make the install media since apple won't be giving it to you anyways. I figure if i buy a computer with Snow leopard on it and then clean install Lion in it it won't be that big of a deal anyways.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Note, there's NO restore media in the box. I bought a 2011 today hoping a USB would be inside to upgrade the Mac Pro but no such luck.

6. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Yeah I noticed that when I was looking at the tech specs page for the new Air. This way I can download Lion and make my own install media. I'm looking to see if anyone has a way to make it out of a preinstalled version. In that case it might be easiest to torrent the installer and make the media out of that. I do know that you can clone the Restore partition using some command line magic if you want to, it doesn't work on a computer without Lion installed, I tried it on my parent's iMac and it won't boot correctly. It booted on a computer with the GM installed however so that's something to keep in mind.