In-store repair delayed...talk to manager?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uhslax24, Oct 17, 2013.

1. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I took my rMBP in to be repaired for my keys falling off (strange), and they had to replace the top case (can't complain).

When I talked with the genius, he told me that they had the part in stock, so I happily handed over my mac to be repaired. He said it could take 3-5 days.

On day 5, I'd heard nothing, so I called the store. I was informed that they were waiting on the part and had received it that morning, the repair should be completed that night.

On the morning of day 6, they called to let me know it was ready for pickup.

I use my computer for work, and was out of it for days longer than expected. I was led to believe that they had the part at the time that I dropped it off, when in fact I could have used my computer until they actually got it in.

With that being said, I don't want to be a pain to the geniuses or the store management. I definitely don't want to get the genius who helped me in trouble for quoting me incorrectly (he was super helpful with the case and setting up the repair).

Any recommendations on how to file a complaint? Pretty frustrating situation that definitely messed with my ability to work this week.

Although he quoted me 3-5 days, he presented the timeframe to me as more of a technicality, and I certainly wasn't expecting to wait 6 days.

Any thoughts/experience on the best way to proceed?

Thanks!

2. chetzar macrumors newbie

6 days to get your laptop repaired is pretty fast. If being without your laptop for 5 days was going to interfere with your ability to effectively conduct work, you should have retrieved the information you needed before having it repaired.

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

So you were perfectly fine with 5 days but not 6? Things happen in life. Not everything is going to go as planned. I think you're blowing this whole thing up out of proportion.

4. VinoGrande macrumors member

Calm down. They completed the repair. ***** happens. Sometimes the turnaround is 2 days, sometimes it's 6. That being said, Genii remember pain-in-the-ass customers. You best relax and not get on their bad side. I always am cool with my geniuses, so I get 2 day turnarounds since I don't give them unnecessary bull. I used to be a genius, so I know they appreciate it. Life's a bitch, but that's the game.

5. durkkin macrumors regular

While the 3-5 day quote is pretty standard, that is actually based on availability of parts, Genius schedules (how many appointments they have to do vs. how much repair time is schedules), and how many computers are currently checked in. This estimate ranges from 24-48 hours, all the way to 7-10 days. While the Genius saw that the top case was in stock, there are many reasons why they could have needed to order the part (from inventory being off, replacement part ended up being damaged, etc.). So day 3 they go to repair your computer, find they have to order the part, Apple doesn't necessarily overnight it, and then they're able to repair it a couple days later. Yeah, it's annoying being without a computer, but I can guarantee the Genius team did their best to get your computer back as fast as possible. Being a former Genius, I know they'd really appreciate one less customer complaining (you wouldn't believe the BS Geniuses/managers get yelled at for).

If you do feel compelled to complain, the best way would be to go in and talk to a manager in person (or over the phone). Just explain what happened (don't forget the part where your Genius was awesome!) and position it more as a heads-up than a complaint. The managers and Genius team are always working on ways to make the store more efficient, and they do value feedback, so they'll figure something out so that another customer doesn't run into your situation.

6. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

7. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Thanks -- exactly what I was looking for help with.

I'm not looking to complain for the sake of complaining, or for a hand-out. Before this, I've had nothing but phenomenal service and turn-around from my Genius bar.

I just know that in my business, I appreciate feedback when my customers provide it -- and I was looking most constructive way to provide that to the store without being a pain or talking to the wrong person.

All of that being said, it seems that my expectations were admittedly and perhaps unrealistically high. Thanks again!

8. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

It's a laptop, not a heart. I can not believe you even considered bringing this up to anyone as a matter of 'customer service'.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Being nice helps.

My Air went in for a screen replacement on Wednesday. I was quoted 5-7 days as there was a backlog. I'm always nice to the guys in my store. I rang today just to see how things were going. They said they'd start the repair immediately. 20 mins later i had a call that it was ready.

10. durkkin macrumors regular

I think your expectations were fine. Apple tries to meet high expectations, but sometimes they fall short. Stores certainly appreciate feedback, and despite what my previous post seemed to imply I understand you're trying to do the right thing and not complain just to complain.

11. red321red321 macrumors regular

My keys also kept popping out. Your situation is unacceptable - ask for a replacement.

12. VinoGrande macrumors member

Replace the whole computer? I think not. You're being ridiculous. I supposed you also would want a brand new car if you gas cap was loose.

13. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Easy, sport. Worried about you getting too worked up about my feelings.

14. casw1000 macrumors member

What I find quite interesting is that people find it acceptable to wait 6 days to have a laptop or device to be repaired. Why is this ok? You pay some hefty amount of money and ok, things go wrong, fair enough, but surely Apple should be offering a next business day type of repair.

Whilst I raised this point in another thread, my point is, I purchased a dell laptop xps, I paid £250 for a 3yr next business day warranty. Yes I have used to warranty but at least I knew someone would look at it the next day. I am on the verge of spending £2k+ on the next revision of rmbp. But as I will use it solely as my business device, it's a concern that I could be offline for such a long time.

Yet it seems that its perfectly ok to have to wait. I am stunned. I love Apple, I have a Mac Pro which I love, now I want my company to replace my 6yr old XPS with a top end rmbp, I am concerned about the lack of urgency to repair such a device. Oh and Dell is not the only big player to offer nbd warranties, Lenovo, HP are willing to sell that extra warranty option. I just wish that Apple would think more about their business customers. Please.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't buy a mac for work use, unless you're comfortable on buying a backup computer if yours breaks, or you're okay being without for a week.

As the poster above me said, every major PC manufacturer offers NBD warranties, and the longest I've ever waited to get my Dell laptop fixed was 3 days - I called something like Friday evening and they had the tech at my doorstep Monday morning.

16. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Depends on how booked they are. They might've had the part readily available, but it was meant for another computer and they didn't check.

I had my computer in and out in less than 24-hours. They ordered the part, came in next day air and the repair started immediately.

17. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Sure:p

18. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I'm about to purchase my first Mac and find this unsettling. I've had dells for about 15 years and always purchased the extended warranty with in-home service. In the past 15 years, I've only had to use it 3 times.

The difference between dell next day service and apple - I bet this is the same with other companies - is dell has certified repair techs so there are more techs to repair your pcs. Apple keeps everything in house so techs are limited.

5 day wait still sucks. Hope I don't have to use it.

19. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm curious why you didn't address this with the staff when you picked up your machine?

20. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I made this post prior to picking up the machine, ultimately decided not to say anything.

21. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

If you had decided not to say anything, don't go back and say anything. There is no point. Your not OCD.

22. durkkin macrumors regular

The amount of people with Dell computers is probably also less. Plus, you're paying for the next business day service, meaning that other people don't pay, and accordingly probably have to wait close to a week for service. You'd be surprised how many computers Apple stores repair and return each day. In the college town I live in it's around 20-30 per day during high traffic times (back to school and around finals week), and that's with only 8 full time Geniuses. In major metropolitan areas (such as Manhattan and LA) there are teams of full times Geniuses who's sole job is to repair computers and in return they move 100+ a day. They are incredibly high traffic stores. In many stores in both the US and internationally the wait time for a Genius bar appointment is measured in DAYS (while in London this summer the soonest I could get in was in 9 days), so I'm sure you can imagine those repair wait times. Plus, the computers are flat out hard to repair. They aren't user serviceable because it's a pain in the ass for even a trained technician to service them.

Apple does offer services for business customers that includes priority repairs (next day if the part is in stock), on-demand Genius bar appointments, loaner computers, and remote Genius in certain locations.

23. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

This is the fallacy in your argument. As a general consumer company Apple doesn't have much penetration in the enterprise market. Most of Apple's user base can tweet and check facebook status for 5 to 6 days on any iOS device should the need arise.

24. casw1000 macrumors member

Krazy Bill - Ok point well made. With Apple's own success, it has forgotten the people who got it there (graphic designers and those business people). But yes, I get the reasoning...

durkkin - you finish your post saying
    Please can you explain further, I don't mind paying for this level of service. I will be happy to read more. I would like to think that London / UK is a big enough market to offer this customer service. :D

Cheers, Colin

25. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I don't recall saying anything about going back?

Not sure what my lack of OCD has to do with any of this but I have to say I am quite proud of that diagnosis...