In-store replacement (Macbook Retina, Gold)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by its93rc, Apr 28, 2015.

1. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

Hey all,

My 14 day return period ends tomorrow. Unfortunately, the W key along with the speaker seem to be faulty (W key stuck, speaker stops working randomly)

My question is: does Apple swap MacBooks like they do with iPhones/iPads? I've never had a problem with a Mac, so I thought I'd ask y'all directly.

I contacted Applecare and they would not bump my order -- I even offered to pay for ANOTHER Macbook and ship mine once I got the other, but they said I had to wait 4-6 weeks for a replacement...ridiculous.

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

W key doesn't work at all or sometimes? Can they re-seat that key?

the speaker stops working randomly too? how bizarre

3. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

This is one reason I like to wait a bit...

That sucks for you, but it's poor service on Apple's part not to expedite a replacement, or have a couple of units in store for replacement.

I imagine they simply don't have the stock.

This is one reason why I tend to steer clear of buying a new Apple product in the first 3 months of its release:

1) Massive queues in stores, or long order wait times
    2) Less confidence in qualtiy control - they're trying to rush them out of the factory
    3) Difficulty withe replacement
    4) Possibility of design defects
    5) Not long enough real-user feedback - although sites like MR help immensly here!

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They do. It is just an easy "swap." The problem is, the stores may not have stock. They usually keep a separate stock for exchanges, but I do not know if that is the case right now. People who damage an apple watch may be in the same boat. The store just straight up might not have stock. Only one way to know :)

If they do not have stock for a return, you can wait or probably get one sent to you. Those are manufacture defects, so would be covered under the 1 year warranty, not the 14 day return policy.

5. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

This is a bit surprising, the 'L' key did not work on my rMB gold 1.2/512, and I got an expedited replacement shipped to me within 24 hours, no problems or questions asked.

6. thadoggfather, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

L key didn't work at all or selectively? Right off the bat or over time? Can you elaborate please :)

I'm wondering what OP did too since original return policy is up by now I would imagine for him/her

7. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

My L key did not work at all unless you pressed it down deliberately quite hard in the center. It did this from the beginning. I called Apple and they asked a bunch of questions and asked if I could send it back so engineering could have a look, they then sent me a replacement overnight.