in store reservation not a guarantee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rick98761, Jun 8, 2009.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I just read in a thread that reserving your phone online does not guarantee it? What is the point then?

2. dand1996 macrumors regular

3. bjquach macrumors 6502

So when you get to the store, it speeds up your checkout time because they already have all your info on hand by the time you get in line.

4. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

doesn't speed me up much at all. I was planning on driving down after work and picking up my phone. I think they are going to have a lot of angry customers when they say they are sold out. I have not found anywhere on the reservation site where it says first come first serve.

5. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Yea, I'm going to be pissed if I get there after work and there are none left after I reserved and everything. I've been waiting for this for 2 long years!

Oh well, I might just have to be pissed then. :mad:

6. dand1996 macrumors regular

* Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis

thats what it says on the site

I did a reservation but then saw it doesnt guarantee me anything so I went and ordered for shipment

7. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I did a preorder and wanted to cancel it. I called the Apple Store and requested to cancel. They said "don't worry...just don't show up and it's fine" and I asked why but they said "it's just to speed the process up". I further asked if they have reserved ones and they said no. I know AT&T said they would if I came in tomorrow (perhaps, it starts tomorrow) and paid for it all then I would have a priority in getting an iPhone.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Apple site says to see an employee with an orange shirt when you get to the store if you reserved one. That implies, to me at least, that you could conceivably just walk in and pick up your phone.

9. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Well hopefully (in my case) people will spread out to all the best buy's, wal-marts and at&t stores instead of camping the Apple store and depleting stock before I get there. I HAVE to get it from the Apple store because I have 250 bucks in Apple gift cards.

10. dand1996 macrumors regular

thank you I was waiting on hold to ask the same question

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

The point is that there are a lot of steps to buying an iPhone, and most of then can be done online -- before you walk into an Apple Store.

1. AT&T has to verify that you're eligible to buy an iPhone.
    1a. If you're new to AT&T, AT&T has to run a credit check on you.
    1b. If you're an existing AT&T customer, AT&T has to figure out the iPhone price for you (which depends on where you are in your contract)
    2. You have to pick (re)select voice + text plans.
    3. You have to agree to AT&T's terms and conditions.

Apple's online process lets you finish those 3 steps in advance, which can save you A LOT of time in the store.

If you walk into the store to buy an iPhone and you DIDN'T do those steps in advance, then an Apple employee has to do them for you. This involves them typing the answers to all of those questions into their little EasyPay PDA device. There's about 3 or 4 screens they have to fill out, and between each screen, their EasyPay sends the data to AT&T for confirmation and waits for the response back. This adds all sorts of extra time to your purchase. On "launch day" last year, this process failed frequently, causing EXTREME delays. So if you have the chance to do it in advance, I'd highly recommend it.

If you want a guaranteed pre-order, either go to an AT&T store and sign-up there, or do the order online with Apple and avoid stores all together. Their website says your iPhone will be delivered on 6/19.

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

gonna stop by the AT&T store on the way home and see what the deal is with that pre-order que.

13. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Normally I like the whole "camp out in-line" thing. But this time, seeing as I could order, pay for AND have it delivered. Well, why wait in-line??

14. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I did the in-store reservation on this a few hours ago and just received my email confirmation. The funny thing is, it says:

"Thanks for reserving your iPhone. You can come to the store you selected anytime on the day of your reservation. When you arrive, talk to a Concierge in an orange shirt. We'll help you complete your purchase, set up your phone, and get off to a great start."

However, the "Date" it lists is blank. Did anyone else run into this? I don't remember seeing an option to pick a date when going through the reserve process.

15. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

just preorder it at the att store. you are guaranteed one and they only charge your card once the phone has left for the store. i just ordered my 32gb and i can pick it up 7am next friday.

16. bjquach macrumors 6502

Mine says June 19th

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The manager at my local Apple Store has my name, my phone reseveration and told me that I can pick up my phone at any time at his store, due to the fact that I pre-ordered. So to me, that is a guarantee.

18. fondo890 macrumors newbie

I went to AT&T today and pre-ordered my phone. I paid and all. They said "they will call me when it is in, which should be on June 19th." The AT&T website explains that at 7 am all AT&T stores will open and 2 lines will form. At this time, only those who pre-ordered iPhones will be allowed in. At 9 am, the lines will merge but those who pre-ordered will have priority. Since this didn't sound like my iPhone was 100% guaranteed, I called them. The lady at AT&T told me that pre-ordering guarantees me a phone, even if i stroll in at 8 pm. To back this up, my receipt says "Ship to:" and my name, but with the store's address instead of mine. It also says I have 7 days to pick up my handset. So I would say doing what I did seams like a flawless way to ensure an iPhone any day, any time. :D

19. bjquach macrumors 6502

Does that mean we can stroll into the store without waiting in line? The apple in store reservation only works for that day, June 19th, only.