Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
I've tried googling this for info., but can't find anything up-to-date. It may be the sort of thing that we can only speculate about...

My local Apple store is (of course) out of stock currently for iPhone 4s. However, the employees were offering an in-store reserve. As far as I know, you can only access the reserve link she used from computers in the store. It asked me for my Apple ID and to choose the model of iPhone 4 I'd like to reserve. The employee said when more came in, there would be one that "literally has your name on it" (okay, not literally engraved, but you get the idea).

So my question is, as it stands ordering from the website says shipping within 3 weeks. Does anyone know if it would be better to order now online, or to wait for the store to get my mysterious reserve in? The employee said she couldn't predict the frequency or amount of their shipments, how far I am into the reserve queue, etc. Or is it just a gamble of a sure thing (within 3 weeks online) versus a reserve that could pop-up next week or next month in-store. Or could I play the game of ordering online and then canceling if the in-store reserve became available?

Thanks

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Thanks, just curious how do you know in-store reserve is better? Anyone else know? It's so tempting to order online, but I'm worried that if I do I'll inevitably get a phone call from Apple the next day (or next week) saying it arrived in-store. Would I be able to cancel the Apple online order if that happened?

Yinmay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
You'll get priority over any "walk-in" customer. Whereas online you'll be added to the queue behind all the people who have placed their order before you.

Of course, like any behavioral-based decision-making prediction, it only works so long as the assumption regarding everyone else's behavior remains true. i.e. if everyone decides to follow this advice, then ordering online would become the better option.

Also, if there are several stores in your area, you can try reserving at all of them.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Thanks :) I don't know why I always assume that people on these types of forums have "insider knowledge" of some kind, but logic works well also!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.