In the absence of a 'multiple forum selector': marking multiple nodes (forums, sub-forums) as read

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
… workflow … mark all posts in that particular forum (and all its sub-forums) READ … choose the next forum to read. …
An example

I might wish to occasionally mark, as read, everything in the 'iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch' and 'iOS Blog Discussion' areas.

I can make a browser window that comprises one tab for each of the following:
– or something like that.

Essentially, a collection where each link both:
  • prepares for personal pretence about an area of disinterest; and
  • is nonspecific about the period of each pretence.
In the absence of a single-step option to directly mark, as read, selected items, workarounds can include the following combination:
  • single-step preparation to indirectly mark, as read, preselected items; followed by
  • multiple steps to confirm each prepared pretence.
In plain english:
  1. collect, in a window, one tab for each sub-forum where unread things are to be marked as read
  2. in each tab, click the ambiguously-worded 'Mark Forums Read' button
  3. use your web browser to create a single bookmark for all tabs within that window
– 1, 2, 3 … no letter 'p'.

Side note: wondering about permissions

None of the following work because although forums 179, 180 and 181 are presented as such (in breadumb trails and the like) –
– respectively, the iPad, Apple Watch and iOS forums – none of those forums can be treated as a forum for the pretence of reading all content.

@arn or staff: without knowing about permissions in XenForo, I wonder whether an exceptional permission – at, for example, nodes 179, 180 and 181 – might allow less verbosity in workarounds such as the one above. Something like, a combination of:
  • disallow new threads; plus
  • allow all unread content to be marked as read.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Actually it's seem like this could be done with a user view option. I's also like to not see the iOS section to include the iOS blog as well as a few others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.