In the Blooooooo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Apr 29, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well folks, I've finally gotten the right drive for the job!!

My default SuperDrive in the Alu MBP 17 seems to be really picky when it comes to burning media and on many occasions it's just annoyed me no end, sure I know there are discs out there which work faultlessly... but what happens when your out and about, and you pop into 7eleven for a cheap disc? Well... In those instances, I find myself with yet another shiny coaster to accompany my coffee!!

Before:
    [​IMG]
    This evening I took the liberty to upgrade that choosy and annoying SuperDrive for something a little more flexible. I've ripped the machine apart to install beautiful BD writer! With no annoying Apple firmware in sight! It's an relief, i think...

Before anyone starts, I'm not interested in watching any BD-ROM's... got better thing to do with my time besides watch crappy movies.

Now I'm curious. Since this new drive supports DVD-RAM media, what sort of application or software would I need to utilise this functionality? Is it at all possible within OSX?

After:
    [​IMG]

2. The General macrumors 601

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. The General macrumors 601

Think that drive will fit in the 17" unibody MBP?

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't think so dude, I read somewhere that Apple have streamline the whole of the UniBody series. Now they're all using the slimmer 9mm SATA drive, as found on the MBwhite, UMBP and UMBP 15.

What you could do is search iFixit.com for details cause they've dismantled the entire system of the UMBP. Kinda interesting...