In the market for a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgmusicman94, Sep 4, 2010.

1. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a MacBook Pro. I currently have a MacBook 13 inch (Early 2008), I bought it as a refurb from the Apple Store. I'm wondering if I should buy a 15-inch i5 refurb now for $1,529 or wait until there are refurbs available for the next update of the line. I guess it depends on when the new line is announced because I don't want to wait too long. Any tips?

2. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I was looking at the buyers guide and it said the MBP was around mid cycle. I lied in my first post, I wont buy around now. If I buy one it will early 2011 (I'm 16 so I'm saving up, I'll probably have the money by christmas) so I guess that will be closer to the new one coming out. I'll see then.

3. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I would say take the deal on the refurb. Updated in June, new processors with new video cards and longer battery life. I just purchased a 13" 2.4 GHz MBP and I love it. Kinda wish it was an i3 but it is solely to feel like it had something over my July 2009 purchase of a C2D iMac. Overall it takes what I throw at it. I cannot complain.

4. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

If your time frame is early 2011, wait for the next revision. It should be out sometime around then hopefully:rolleyes:.

5. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, I'm 16 so I dont have a steady income. I rely on getting money for my birthday and christmas and odd jobs. I'll probably make up the $1700 by January and I'll be patient and wait for the next revision before I buy. Anyway, people have been talking about "Sandy Bridge" supposedly coming to MBP next year. What is that?

6. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

It's just the platform. This year it was Arrandale that was released. Arrandale was a major change though; Sandy Bridge is an evolutionary step that will bring more refinements.

7. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

wait and save up the money.

any particular reason why you have to get a MBP?

8. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 13" white MacBook (2-3 years old) and it's getting slow and the plastic is cracking (I'm on my second top case and bezel and both are cracking, a common problem with the white & black macbooks). I want more power, mine is a 2.4 GHz C2D. And I want a bigger screen.

Are you suggesting I should get something else? I obviously want another mac so PCs are out of the question.

9. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I got the 17" macbook pro for $1400 from microcenter. Originally it was an open box, but I got them to switch it out for a brand new sealed in the box for me.

10. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never bought from microcenter. Would you mind showing me how to find an open box one on their website? And in that case, if I can get any 17" right now for $1400 I'll get it.

11. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

you have to check their website to see if the store near you has an open box available. I don't think you can order the open box ones online. But check with them.

12. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

You must have some nice relatives. I don't remember banking $700 for my birthday, Christmas, and my Senior graduation. Late '90s but not that long ago...I suppose it depends on who you are asking.

13. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got around $300 for my birthday and my parents think that by christmas we might be better off than now because of the economy. So maybe a few hundred then (I'll ask for only money and not many big gifts). A big thing there is odd jobs. My parents pay me to take care of our ~50'x15' deck on the back of our house. And I also do things like slideshows and videos for my church and get paid for that.

14. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

15. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well both of my parents are successful chemical engineers.