In the market for a MB 2008 replacement any recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by x2thaz, Nov 5, 2017.

1. x2thaz macrumors newbie

so my 2008 MacBook has died on me and looking for a replacement. I'm looking for something to handle transcoding to show on Plex, photo storage, web surfing, email. I would like to get a laptop but I don't know if these new laptops can handle Plex. I never owned a PC and i fear that might be my best bet. I think a iMac would be so cumbersome for my tiny place and a Mancini would be perfect but it's so old no refresh in a while. Maybe in June? I can't wait that long

Can you recommend me something?

2. jmiddel macrumors regular

These new laptops can handle anything you throw at them! A Macbook Pro is optimal, but the Air is quite amazingly capable if you get the better processor

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Any newer mac will work better at exactly the same things its that simple. Why would you think that a newer machine would be worse. If you are looking for best bang for buck a non retina 2012 13 inch MBP with and upgraded SSD is a good buy and so is the retina 2013 13 inch MBP. Hell even any of the retina MacBook models will spank your 2008 all over the place.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Unless you absolutely positively have-to-have the "latest and greatest", I'd recommend an Apple refurbished 2015 design MacBook Pro.

There are just too many problems with the 2016-17 models, particularly with the keyboard.

Also, if you have a lot of "legacy stuff" such as USB, the 2015 models have a full complement of legacy ports.

I picked the 2015 design over the 2016, and am happy to have avoided the troubles that owners of the new ones are experiencing (if the posts to this forum are any indication)...