In the market for an external HD!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by babond, Jul 2, 2008.

1. babond macrumors member

I need an external HD for my macbook. I have TONS of music and movies and it tends to take up a lot of space. I'd also be interested in using an external HD for time capsule or whatever. I see that lots of people on here use 2-3 hard drives....WTF? Is it best to use a seperate HD for time capsule and another for media?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can use one external and partition it like: BACKUP and STORAGE. Send your Time Machine backups to BACKUP and send your media overflow to STORAGE. The size of the external will depend on how much room you need for your backups and storage.
    For instance, I have a 120GB HD so I figure about 240GB for backups (120 x 2) and then I like about 80GB for media overflow; so, I got a 320GB external, made a 240 and 80 partition and I'm off and running. -GDF

Oh and before you ask, Western Digital w/ firewire is my preferred brand.

3. BufferOverflow macrumors newbie

BufferOverflow

Another vote for Western Digital. I have the 1Tb Studio Edition and it works beautifully. No need to install any separate software and even powers down when you switch off the mac.

Has dual firewire 800, USB and e-sata so all your bases are covered; you can even daisy chain them on firewire.

4. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Funny that you ask that question as I'm trying to determine the same thing. I have a TC that backs up my MBP and MB. I really like the TC because it's seemless. I just flipped the switch to 'On' in backup software and it was off to the races.

Now, I'm considering moving my media to another drive that can be shared bby both Macs and then using my TC for just the TC backups for system related info.