Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hello All, thanks in advance for useful feedback.

I'm a switcher. I've been a M$ fanboy for a long time and that time is up. The switch started about 3 years ago with my first iPod...the mini I think. Then I got the iPod video. Then the shuffle. Then iPhone. Now I'm addicted, and I live very close to the apple store, which I visit often.

I'm going to buy a macbook or a macbook pro as my first venture into macland. Before you jump all over me, this isn't a buy or wait question...I'm already going to wait for the next release.

That said, I don't know which to get! MB or MBP? i want the backlit keyboard and aluminum case. I want to play WoW decently, as that's the only game I play anymore. I want to develop with eclipse and use the iLife applications. I want to record my guitar and master some tracks. I want it to run fast, and never slow down!

Now for some questions:

I've heard they get really hot. However when I've done some searching, most of the topics are from 2006 and 2007. Has the heat issues been taken care of?

Can you buy the apple care at any time? Can I purchase the computer and use the first year of their service that comes with the computer since I live so close to the apple store, and then buy the apple care at the end of the year to extend it 3 more years? Or maybe I misunderstand how this works.

Since I've never used it, I have no idea: Do you ever have to re-install OSX? If you needed to is it a big deal? On a PC when somethign goes wrong, just reinstall. All my data is on a NAS so I got used to it.

To those who've purchased a MBP for similar reasons: Are you happy with your decision? Do you think you could' have bought a MB and been happy?

And to those who've purchased a MB: Are you happy with your decision? Or would you rather have more?

Sorry for all the questions...Any feedback or comments are appreciated.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home

I'm a switcher. I've been a M$ fanboy for a long time and that time is up. The switch started about 3 years ago with my first iPod...the mini I think. Then I got the iPod video. Then the shuffle. Then iPhone. Now I'm addicted, and I live very close to the apple store, which I visit often.

I'm going to buy a macbook or a macbook pro as my first venture into macland. Before you jump all over me, this isn't a buy or wait question...I'm already going to wait for the next release.

That said, I don't know which to get! MB or MBP? i want the backlit keyboard and aluminum case. I want to play WoW decently, as that's the only game I play anymore. I want to develop with eclipse and use the iLife applications. I want to record my guitar and master some tracks. I want it to run fast, and never slow down!

Now for some questions:

I've heard they get really hot. However when I've done some searching, most of the topics are from 2006 and 2007. Has the heat issues been taken care of?

Can you buy the apple care at any time? Can I purchase the computer and use the first year of their service that comes with the computer since I live so close to the apple store, and then buy the apple care at the end of the year to extend it 3 more years? Or maybe I misunderstand how this works.

Since I've never used it, I have no idea: Do you ever have to re-install OSX? If you needed to is it a big deal? On a PC when somethign goes wrong, just reinstall. All my data is on a NAS so I got used to it.

To those who've purchased a MBP for similar reasons: Are you happy with your decision? Do you think you could' have bought a MB and been happy?

And to those who've purchased a MB: Are you happy with your decision? Or would you rather have more?

You've already answered your own question. Buy a Macbook Pro.

You have 1 year from the purchase date to buy a warranty.

The only time you'll need to reinstall the OS is if something goes absolutely wrong.

I own both a Macbook and Macbook Pro and I can say that by far I like the Pro more than I have ever liked my Macbook.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

I'm a switcher. I've been a M$ fanboy for a long time and that time is up.

Wise Choice.

The switch started about 3 years ago with my first iPod...the mini I think. Then I got the iPod video. Then the shuffle. Then iPhone. Now I'm addicted, and I live very close to the apple store, which I visit often.

Again wise choice. The next macbook and pro are rumoured to be redesigned and start at lower prices.

Sounds like you want the pro model for the dedicated graphics card and the screen real estate.

Now for some questions:

All laptops get hot, with the Macbook Pro however, you can feel that heat as its made from aluminium.

You can buy it at any time within the first year (not after). You can't cheat them however by using the first year, buying Apple care and getting an extra free year, you would just get 2 years + your complimentary year.

Yes you can reinstall, its simple and easy, and you wont need to do it unless you screwed something up. Its not like Windows which gets progressively slower over time.

I'm perfectly happy, could do with the bigger graphics card and the nicer screen but yeah, not for an extra £500.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
About heatWhen I'm doing normal internet browsing, the CPU temps reach about 40 degrees Celsius. This does not feel very hot, it's still comfortable to keep on my lap.

When I do Photoshop work, temps can go up to 70 degrees C. At this point it's too hot to really be comfortable on my lap, so I keep it on a desk.

Just as long as you give the vents adequate room on the bottom, heat is not a major issue. I was also concerned about heat before I made my purchase, but I am relieved to find that it is not a big issue.

About ApplecareYou can buy Applecare up to 1 year after you first purchased. This extends your warranty to a maximum of 3 years after your original purchase date.

About the decision
I love my Macbook Pro. I bought it just last week and I know that it was worth every penny I spent on it. The matte screen is gorgeous and I love the quality of the colors. It feels sleek and beautiful and has never crashed on me yet.

It feels really nice to have such a robust system that works incredibly well.

Hope this helps. I couldn't answer your question about the OS install thing because the system hasn't failed on me yet. I took about 6 months saving up for the system and mulling over my options, and I couldn't be happier.

trek1500

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Sugar Land, Texas

Now for some questions:

I just recently got a Macbook Pro after tons of research..talking to friends..people at the Apple Store...etc. and feel truly satisfied with my decision. This is the best computer I have ever owned and I've had a lot
them..all PCs!

This is my 1st Mac and after a frustrating year with Vista on my last PC purchase..I refused to upgrade my XP PCs with Vista after spending time with it...I started to discover the community of Mac Users and spent many a day in this forum and reading numerous articles online and talking to many friends...many who had switched. So I feel somewhat saavy about Macs although I still feel I have a lot to learn! That's why this forum appeals to me so much! There's a lot of great information here! Trust me..you can't go wrong with a MBP!!! :apple:

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
my current list of things to buy for MBP:

4GB of RAM - checked :)
Samsonite Case - checked :)
External HDD
Bluetooth Mouse
Bluetooth earphones

I think thats All you'll ever need :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.