In The Market

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sh1bby69, Nov 6, 2014.

1. sh1bby69 macrumors newbie

So recently my 2011 MBP experienced the failure in the GPU. So now I'm in the market for a new one. I've been looking at the 2014 MBP Iris only since I want to avoid any future issues with the GPU. I had a history with my 2008 MBP GPU failing as well which got recalled for the issue. Hopeing the 2011 will get a recalled later.

My question is since I plan to get a MBP '14 without the GPU, should I be ok using Photoshop, Lightroom, and video editing? How about Autocad?

Is there a MBP in the next few months or early next ear that I should hold out for?

Thanks!

2. leman macrumors 604

If you were satisfied with your 2011's model performance in those applications, you will be satisfied with the Iris Pro - its faster than your old GPU. On a more serious note, the CPU/memory performance will play a much more significant role here, and both are significantly improved with the 2014 model.

3. sh1bby69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! Can you guys tell me the difference in the rMBP i7 Dual Core vs. the 15" rMBP i7 Quad Core and is it worth the extra $$$? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck but don't want to have buyers remorse afterwards. I'm a hobbyist when it comes with Photoshop and lightroom. I'm not making any income on it. Same thing goes for the video editing and autocad. All nothing too serious.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Speed

You can do those things on the dual core, but all those programs will be much faster for rendering and effects etc on the quad core. The Iris Pro is much better graphically than the Iris only on the dual core and for autocad and video editing it will make a huge difference. Also the screen size is important for those apps and the 15 inch will give you far more room to work with.

Think about getting a 2013 refurb 15 inch it is exactly the same as the current version and 100's of dollars cheaper the minor CPU speed bump in the new one will be unnoticable in day to day use.

5. sh1bby69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll take a look at the refurbished rMBP thanks!

BTW If I do end up going with a 13" i7 3.0GHz Dual Core, is that a step back from my '11 MPB that had a i7 2.2GHz Quad Core?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the apps you use, I say you may notice the difference, you're working half as many cores now and running some heavy duty apps.

I recommend a 15" rMBP, it runs with a quad core and the Iris Pro iGPU is much better then the Iris iGPU that comes with the 13" laptop. Plus the increased screen real estate will be helpful on those apps.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Depends on the App

It depends on the App but the turbo boost in single Core apps will be slightly faster, but for multi core app usage the quad core will be faster.