In the near future Apple will release a16:9 tablet

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ValO, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ValO macrumors 65816

Apple wants to get in the tv-business.

So we' ll see a:

-STB(based on apple tv)
    -Monitor/ TV

What about a tablet that will allow you to show simultaneously what is on tv and that will let you control the onscreen contents of the tv by touchscreen.

And since tv is based on 16:9. This tablet will also be 16:9?

Lets call it an ipod touch HD/Max, or avpad???

Apple has 2 product standards now. One based on 4:3 (ipad) and one based on 16:9 (iphone5/ ipod touch 5).

This could co-exist and the iphone/ipod lines could be extended bij adding a 6" inch or bigger ipod for tv/film on the move and controlling the tv.

These 2 lines wouldn' t hurt each other.
    Ipad is better in webbrowsing and reading and can be used for games.

Larger ipod for gaming, tv and movie, music and as a touchscreen control of the new TV.

These could co-exist and perhaps convince the a large partof the user base of 16:9 android to switch to apple.

What are your thoughts about this?

2. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I'm a little skeptical about this. Sounds like what you're describing is an elaborate and extremely expensive remote control. I can't imagine at this point someone having an iPad for web surfing/reading and a 16:9 iPad for watching stuff and remote-controlling their TV... maybe in 10+ years when the technology becomes much cheaper, though I have a feeling by then we may not be thinking in the same gadgety terms as we are now.

3. ValO, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

ValO thread starter macrumors 65816

This could be done with the technology that is available right now.

For controlling the onscreen content of the tv on the tablet by touchscreen and showing the content that is on tv on the tablet, you would need airplay from tv to to tablet and vice versa. With 5 Ghz Wifi, they should be able to do this.

I think that apple is nearer to this than you think.
    It would be a small revolution if apple would create a standard in which te consumer can decide which content it wants to see by buying an app or subscribing to content of different providers (like netflix).

Apple will make the hardware and the os.
    Base station wil be the tv with ios including Sirri and Facetime,
    build in time capsule for synchronisation of content of all your mac/ios devices
    Built in a high speed wifi base station like airport extreme for receiving and sending content from and to Mac/ios devices.

-Basic speakers built in the television, but by airplay the tv can stream sound to wireless speakers. It would even be able to stream to special 6.1/9.2 home cinema speakers for DTS HD or Dolby HD for high end home cinema.
    Hardware in tv would be able to set-up /calibrate the speakers by built in microphone and calculating the ideal position by face recognition(facetime camera).

A build in high end game console, with the remote (tablet) acting as controller(wii u) and FaceTime camera like kinect.

Possibilties are endless, but already possible if you look at todays technology.

4. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I'm not buying into the idea of mirroring the TV screen on the tablet in order to control it. If anything, I think that would make for confusing channel-surfing. I COULD see the iPad or iPhone being used as a remote where the channel guide appears on the tablet, etc, but you wouldn't need a new type of tablet for that.

5. yegon, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

yegon macrumors 68020

Doubt it.

4:3 is better for everything on a tablet, except video and (arguably) games.

Despite Apple claiming otherwise, the only reason the iPhone went 16:9 was because it was an easy way to increase size without seriously impacting devs. If Apple could have sourced reasonably priced 4"ish 1920x1280 screens (doubling the 4's res) we'd never have seen a 16:9 iPhone.

Besides, I applaud Apple for not going blindly down the 16:9 route, they're practically the only purveyor of 16:10 laptops these days.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

maybe the current screen will show a full movie and controls on the bottom of the "screen"

but then 16:9 is not good for all movies, just TV shows and some movies.