In the new market for a new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikerzt, Apr 14, 2008.

1. mikerzt macrumors newbie

alright, so i have the 1st gen macbook and im tired of it already. sure it has good enough specs but i think its not good enough for me already. its time for a new one.

ive been eyeing at both the 15" and 17"

i looked at the 15" with the 250gb hdd and 512mb vram. with my student discount, its going to be $2299.

i saw the 17" and have been wanitng to purchase this. With the hi-res included, my total comes to $2686.

That's about a $387 difference but for that much I can get 2 more inches and a higher resolution.

My friends are telling me to go with the 15" and upgrade it to 4gb from there but I'm not too sure. I mean it makes sense because thats what I did with my macbook.

Anyways, I do everything from video editing to picture editing...and gaming too. I work for a record label so I'm constantly on the go. I need something that can do everything I need.

Which is a better deal...? I'm stuck on the 15" now but is the battery life equivalent to the 17" with hi-res? I guess it would be better to go with 15" then upgrade the ram and hard drive, right?

2. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a better or worse deal. If you want to have more screen real estate, go with the 17". However, with you saying how you are constantly on the go, just remember that the 15" would be much more mobile. I think the question really comes down to whether you want the bigger screen, or not. Now, I would say that if you do find the 15" more feasible, go with the cheaper model. I believe that the general consensus is that the jump between the two 15" models is not quite worth it. So, with edu discount, that would make it in the ball park of 1700, plus whatever 4 GB of RAM costs if you upgrade.

3. mikerzt thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm alright, so if i go with the 1799 model and upgrade to 4gb of ram. will i get a better framerate doing games and stuff?

4. steinlager macrumors regular

5. mikerzt thread starter macrumors newbie

my cousin has a mbp too and im not sure which model he has but he's able to play crysis and call of duty 4 on it in boot camp. am i able to do the same too? or should i pay extra and get the one with the 512mb ram?