Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solvs

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but since the thread in question was locked, thought I'd ask. I noticed that someone had a title of "In Time Out" under their name. Is that another way of saying temporarily banned? Is this a new thing for everybody, or just something kinda funny for this particular poster? If it's here to stay, I just want to say that I like it. Banned doesn't always work, nor does Guest, so I'm hoping you keep it.

Not trying to make fun BTW, I genuinely like it. Reminds me of when my friend's 6 year old is naughty. :p

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Time Outs for OPs should be applied to all those foolish enough to respond, as well. Threads don't spiral out of control on their own. And trolls don't exist without those feeding them.

Let's be fair now, IMHO.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
"In Time Out" signifies a temporary ban - it's a feature we haven't used much in the past but are looking at using more consistently right now since it helps stave off much of the "hey, I thought so-and-so was banned!" comments/questions we get when someone comes back from a temp ban. It also helps make the "Banned" designation more meaningful in that it's only for the permanent cases.

We're still sorting out the procedure, so don't be surprised if there are some temp bans getting a "Banned" designation in the meantime.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
good to know. and it surely looks like it would help with any confusion surrounding temporary bans. i'm all for it.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
This is off topic but...

Is a permanent ban, really permanent? Say If someone was banned, and a year later they contacted a mod, said they were sorry, and wanted to contribute in a positive way to the MR community, would you allow them to return?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I'm not one to say of course, but I'd think that would have to do with the severity of whatever got them banned. If it was something like posting too many threads about one topic, i suppose thats forgivable, but say harassing someone of making derogatory comments would definately constitute a permanent ban.

Once again, I'm not one to say...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
We can't really go into the details of each permanent ban case, but in general, members are giving multiple warnings and temporary bans prior to a permanent ban. In all cases the severity of their actions is taken into account when people request re-instatement, but I can't really think of any cases where someone has returned from a permaban by the say-so of the mods/admins.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
This is off topic but...

Is a permanent ban, really permanent? Say If someone was banned, and a year later they contacted a mod, said they were sorry, and wanted to contribute in a positive way to the MR community, would you allow them to return?

So if name removed came back, said he was sorry for destroying the marketplace and posting 'trades?' as every post and then signing up for like 8 user accounts and... (I think we all know where this is going so I'll stop)

Would we (as a community) let someone like this back in? No. You only get so many chances.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
And the FAQ. I want to know how many posts it takes to reach Core2Duo status! ;)

I don't think we even know what it takes to reach G4 status - i figure it's a surprise!

And i think the Time Out idea is very good, much better than just 'banned'

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
You will wear it. And you will enjoy it.

Or else she'll pierce your bellybutton TOO.

On topic, I like the "in time out" designation because it, as stated, will help sort out the confusion with about perm/temp banned users. More importantly, however, I think it will emphasize the severity of the ban if the only time you see "banned" is when someone has been really bad and is gone forever. I know whenever I see the title of banned it sends a bit of a chill down my spine, and I imagine it will do so more with addiction of "in time out"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.