In Vancouver BC, what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Veg, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Veg macrumors member

Hi guys, I'm currently visiting Vancouver BC and plan on spending much of my days here sight seeing and exploring. Because I don't know the area too well I was wondering if someone could provide me with recommendations on places to visit. I have visited Stanley Park, New Amsterdam Cafe, Gastown, Chinatown, Convention center, and UBC so far.
    Thank you, I look forward to your guys replies.

2. Melrose, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Try to sneak a glimpse of Allison Mack or Kristin Kreuk... At least, they used to live there. :)

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I love Vancouver and will be up there in about two weeks. I actually go up there once a year.

Granville Island has one of the best farmer's market in the world and a must visit in my opinion.

The Vancouver Aquarium is always nice.

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

If you have some time, take the sea to sky highway to Whistler. If you have more time, take the ferry to Victoria and visit Butchart Gardens, have afternoon tea at the Empress.

What do you like to do?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you like food, try the Guu (spelling?) on the south side of Robson, 2-3 blocks from Denman.

If you like to fish, charter a boat from Granville Island, and head over to the mouth of the Capilano River. Stock up on picnic supplies at the market on Granville Island (as previously noted, not to be missed.)

If you have car, take the boat to Victoria, eat at the Superior Cafe for dinner and then head up the #1 to Nanaimo. On the way detour to Genoa Bay. In the Cowichan Valley stop at a winery and have picnic with the supplies you picked up in Cowichan Bay. Fabulous Bakery and a pretty good cheese shop side by side there.

In Nanaimo you can catch a boat back. When you get to Horseshoe Bay, instead of turning right to go back to the city turn left and head for Whistler. There may be glacier skiing still. However, keep going - and going and do the Duffey lake road. Turn right a Lillooet and head down #12 to #1, to Hope. Find the spot where the bridge from Rambo - First Blood was until a few weeks ago. Turn right again and head back to Vancouver.

If you want to stay in Vancouver hike the trails on the North Shore (Those mountains you see on the north side of the harbour). Be prepared. You may take a city bus to the trail-heads, but they are wilderness trails and the weather can turn nasty quickly. People get lost and die every year on the trails. Most of them tourists. There are bears, so take bear spray and talk a lot.

Eat Sushi. Lots of Sushi. Among the best Sushi in the world - the Japanese come over for some BC specialities. Eat at Vijs and Tojos. Eat at Fiddlehead Joes. Eat some more sushi. Have West Coast Bennie for breakfast.

Eat at Won More (foot of Denman, on the 2nd floor).

Absolutely go to the fireworks. Among the best in the world. There are another 2 or 3 evenings.

Swim in the ocean.

Do the Grouse Grind.

Rent a bike or roller blades and do the sea wall. Eat lots of gelato.

Have fun....

7. Veg thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

Since my original post I've visited these places:
    -Granville Island via Aquabus
    -Fireworks display last night (best I've ever seen)
    -Seawall (I walked the entire way)
    -Not a place but I've eaten some Sushi

I like all the suggestions and will hopefully be able to visit all those areas before I leave. Once again thank you guy very much!

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Granville Island by ferry: Best Way!
    Fireworks!: Told 'ya they'd be good...
    Entire Seawall: All the way?! Kits beach to the Convention Centre... that is worthy of bragging about!

ps If you like looking at people on beaches, head over to Kits Beach. (Kits = Kitsalano) Seriously. Vancouver is way over-represented in the global beautiful/studly model/actor/actress communities. Kits Beach on a summer's day is where they'll be this week.

Glad you're having good time. One word of caution. If you have a car there, don't leave anything visible when you park it. Cars will get broken into for half a muffin. Theft from cars is one of the dark-bits of the city.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Pot-heads get the munchies.

Deal. :p

:D

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Hello Veg

If you are still in Vancouver, and if you are near a TV tonight.... watch CBC at 7pm. Supposedly they are running a documentary called something like "Vancouver Recipe" or "Recipe Vancouver" ... in any case the film goes to a bunch of different highly regarded restaurants in the city, talks to the chefs and looks at the food, and then apparently asks whether Vancouver may not have the best restaurants on the planet? Also the scenic shots are supposed to be spectacular too. Might give you some ideas on where to go for lunch tomorrow, eh?

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

snberk103, have you or know anyone who has done the animal encounters at the Vancouver Aquarium? I was thinking of the Beluga encounter, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it considering it's over a $100.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

No, sorry, I don't know anything about the program. It's been a few years since we've lived in the city. Perhaps a program they've started more recently....

But I can tell you that Beluga blubber tastes better than it sounds - [Big Smile] - but that is another story.