In-Vitro Meat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barkomatic, Aug 11, 2009.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Vegetarians could be extinct one day. In-Vitro meat may be a way to produce large volumes of meat protein more efficiently than raising whole animals. I'm not sure that an in-vitro steak could possibly have the same texture or flavor as the real steak I eat but I'd be willing to give it a try. This is the only PETA supported effort that I could possibly get behind. It does raise some interesting ethical concerns though. If you could create meat without raising or killing an animal--what's to stop the production of human in-vitro meat? I could see McDonald's serving a quarter pounder people burger with fries. :D

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/08/07/eco.invitro.meat/index.html

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Umm... the market? Only a cannibal would want such a burger. With such a tiny market, it'll cost around $1000 a burger. Yep, they'll sell like hotcakes.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, the good thing about this is that EVERY piece of meat can be graded "prime." MMmMmmmm... prime beef steak. *drool*;)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like the sound of this. I know full well where my meat comes from but I try not to think about it whilst tucking into an Applewood-smoked bacon butty or a lovely sirloin steak, but it just tastes so good. If they can get the taste identical using this method then that would be brilliant.

They make it sound so lovely too :D.
    But it also seems to be for ground meats. So no bacon or steak for me.

4. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

The article stated it would be at least 10 years before commercial in-vitro meat would be available. Still, this could have a huge impact on food production and free up tons of land currently used for grazing all over the world. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do recognize the impact that meat has on the environment--its just there hasn't been an alternative. People are omnivores and need to eat meat.

As for the human burger I doubt it will make its debut--but all kinds of exotic meats could become available. :) I wonder if they could sample some of the frozen mammoths that have been found and have mammoth burgers! THAT would sell. ha ha