In which scenario is it convenient to turn on the firewall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doxavita, Jan 7, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

- In which scenario is it convenient to turn on the firewall? (System Preferences > Security > Firewall > On)

- What are your thoughts? Should I have it on? I do have a router (Linksys E1000) which delivers wirelessly a signal to my MacBook Pro.

- If I turn it on, will it load some heavy process? Will I still have normal internet access to all my apps? (including parallels windows 7 virtual machine, programs from crossover that access internet, and of course firefox and safari)

- How does the firewall work? Is it going to be asking all the time about programs trying to access the internet? is there an apple article on firewall?

- If I turn it on, I can always turn it back off and it will all be right back to normal, right?

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should always have it on.

You will not notice a load difference. You will still have normal Internet access to apps, Parallels/Win7 etc...

Once in a while you may get a dialog box asking if you want to allow an app permission to access the Internet. Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6: About the Application Firewall

Normal is relative, but yes you can turn it off again.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Once I enable it, is it too technical to configure it? (in advanced to customize the firewall configuration) I'm not too knowledgeable regarding the technical configuration side of it.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's very simple and straightforward. Just go into it and look.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, and if I give a program permission for internet access, I can always revoke such permission later, right?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I enabled it, I'll leave it with the default advanced settings. I'll experiment with it, to see how it goes.

Software Update should work properly too, right?

8. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, it seems I edited my message after you had read my previous post. Anyways, anybody know if software update should still work? (automatically) & (after I enabled the firewall).

9. Paden macrumors newbie

Yes software update will continue to work with the firewall on. It's a very simple and easy interface.