In which situations has the Iphone Saved You?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rob Mclovin, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

In what situations has the Iphone saved you. Ive had lots of these times where if i had a regular phone, it would suck. Directions mostly. And ive had times where in class i forgot to do some summarization on a book, so ill quickly open up safari and start googling and writing fast. Has saved me MANY times!

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Maps when driving around has saved me many times. Being able to look up a word's meaning in Safari during meetings. Last night I did a search on my Olive Tree bible (wife couldn't figure out where Miriam was (Numbers)). My teens were looking up stuff on YouTube (and playing it through the car speakers) while we were driving back from a soccer game. Playing Sudoku while waiting in line today for my license renewal (almost an hour).

I love having the world at my fingertips. :D

3. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

First day of the new semester of college this year, and even though it's not my first year and know the campus fairly well, i forgot to bring my class schedule with me and had no idea where any of my classes were (didn't know the room numbers, i knew which buildings). Whipped out my iPhone on the university shuttle on the way to campus, and looked up my class schedule online. I seriously thought, "dang, how awesome is this" as i was looking at my schedule. :D

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I recently started work on my newspaper's Web site doing overnight work and part of it entails going out to overnight crime and accident scenes. I've only been in town about 7 months so not super familiar with smaller streets or some of the dodgy areas of town.

Having GPS and directions has been quite handy in finding places you usually don't want to be driving around at in the middle of the night. Email is a breeze and with the WordPress app from the App Store, I can log into the company's "Just In" site and post an item from outside the office.
    And with Safari, I can check my company email outside as well.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Usually when i forget where my lectures are i quickly look it up online and of course maps for directions

6. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I had a traffic ticket that I hadn't paid because of a very busy schedule, and when I got to the court house at 4:40 to pay it (closes at 5pm, and this was the deadline date that it must be paid), they told me I had to go to the court house in the next city over (it was a highway/freeway ticket). They did not have a map to the courthouse, so I used my iPhone's GPS maps to get me there, and I got there two minutes before they closed!

At a business meeting once, I hadn't printed out a document that I needed to read, but I had emailed it to myself, so I clicked on the email, and on the document, and I had it right there. I read the document to everyone. Excellent! :D

Another time, I was late for a meeting, and there had been an accident on the freeway and the freeway was practically stopped, so I used the GPS Maps to cut through an unfamiliar city to get past the accident. The funniest thing was that hundreds of other people were doing the same thing, and we all went down this one residential street, and people are standing in their driveways looking at us, and their residential street had the traffic of a freeway on it. Lol.

Once, while out in the field, I needed to lookup some technical terms and physics equations, and I used the Wikipanion App (Free), which worked great! Otherwise, I would have had to go back to my office and look up the equations on my computer or in a reference book.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

GPS has several times. As fascinating as the story is I shall spare you the details.

8. iDanielle macrumors member

Uhmm none. Unless you mean saved me from boredom, that would be all he time.

9. Xpublius macrumors newbie

No Title

I went to court not to long ago to do a hearing, and realized while the judge was calling the docket that I forgot to bring my list of questions. I quietly e-mailed my assistant, and she sent a copy to me. By the time I had to examine the witness, I had list on my iPhone. I just read everything off the screen. Pretty handy!

10. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

Countless times my wife and i have been out to dinner or in some other social setting and when my 3 year old son gets a little antsy and cranky it's great to hand him the iPhone and let him watch Diego or Cars or Monsters Inc. Keeps him occupied for a good long while. Also since he's too young to use the ear buds, he gets by w/ the speaker on the phone which of course isn't loud enough to disturb others but definitely loud enough for him to still hear.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Finding my girlfriend's college so I could visit her. The directions someone GAVE me, took 3 hours... the iPhone took me there in exactly 2 hours. YEAH!

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It's useful, but I think I am less enamored with some of the smartphone features since I had a treo before my iPhone. On some things it does things much, much better (web browsing and email especially), but I hate google maps on the iPhone. Over a year of ownership but I still can't seem to get used to the all touchscreen map, I think because I mostly used google maps on my treo on the go where i could do it one-handed, which is nearly impossible on the iPhone.

Of course, I also have a GPS, so I hardly ever fire up google maps, which probably adds to my frustrations since i am not used to it.

Having a smartphone in general, regardless of operating system, has definitely saved my butt and kept me up to date on the news, etc when I am out of the office, which rocks.

13. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Where do you live? In Maryland you can't have you phone on in a courthouse, and can't even have a camera phone in the building.

14. jellis macrumors member

The iphone saved me when I was with TheSpaz's girlfriend before he came to visit. A friend of mine texted me while he was walking down the hall and I quickly got dressed and out the door I went. He was running an hour early for some reason...

Thanks iPhone!

15. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I was hanging off a cliff like in one of those awesome movie scenes and my iPhone, hearing my cries for help, pulled out some rope, tied one end to the back of its pickup truck and pulled me to safety. Phew.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That was funny. Thank you.

17. manhattanmania macrumors regular

in manhattan, going to the movies can be a big process. sellouts are quite common and you have to get to the theater at least a 1/2 hour before a show if you want a decent seat.

on friday night, we got to the theater and duh, movie was sold out. used iphone to check showtimes at a different theatre and before heading there, bought the tickets so we'd be sure we didnt get sold out.

on saturday night, the computer machines were broken in the theater so you had to go to a person to buy a ticket. the line was comparable to what you'd see day 1 of an iphone launch. it was madness. after waiting for 10 minutes they opened up a window just for printing fandango bought tickets. while waiting on that line for 3 minutes, i pulled up fandango, bought tickets to the show i wanted to go to right b4 getting up to the window, and boom. got the tickets printed and bypassed hours of waiting.

then i went up to the theater jumping up and down bc i love my iphone...

18. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I kept my iPhone in my chest pocket yesterday, and it stopped a bullet meant for me. Then it hopped out of my pocket, chased the bastard down, and beat the piss out of him. :rolleyes:

19. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Its saving me right this second,LOL. I'm in a jury duty orientation. We"re watching some lame video. While everyone is miserable, I'm enjoying my iPhone on mac forums on free wifi provided by the court.

20. jellis macrumors member

does anyone remember this? iPod saves soldier’s life in Iraq

21. dzhiurgis macrumors member

dzhiurgis

I can tell a story where it didn't helped :confused:

I came to Netherlands for studies like a month ago and first thing I did imeadeatly after leaving the train - going to the coffeeshop :) I bought some random weed (moonlight to be specific), smoked one joint and then started to look for my dormitory. I got stoned as ****, got a little lost. Then I got an idea to look for my trip on Google Maps. So I turned on data roaming, entered addresses (where I am and where I need). Yet still I was so stoned to miss all the turns I needed to make. In final I have lost my luggage for 5 mins (after sitting on a bench with a map I simply forgot it). Then I went to a random shop (piano shop :eek: if I remember right), asked for help and got my route drawn perfectly on a real map. I can't believe how easy it is to get lost here - every street name sounds the same, etc.
    The moral is - stone at home.

22. iiqwertyii macrumors newbie

Amen to that!

My daughter gets really fussy in her car seat during long car rides and in the past we would have to make multiple stops to take her out of her car seat. After I got the iPhone I loaded up some Baby Einstein and Little Einstein videos into it and every time she gets fussy we would plug it into our car stereo and show her the video. She stops crying immediately as soon as the video comes up. My wife thought that getting the phone was a bad idea at first, but after seeing what it can do for our baby she absolutely LOVES the phone now...

Also, we love eating at new places so we use Yelp a lot and we've discovered some really nice places to eat at.

23. iphonecode macrumors member

24. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

eh....picked up a girl at the bar. place outside Addison, TX called Dukes has a lot of college girls and they all have smartphones/iphones. so found my target, opened up the "iscroll" app, typed "can i buy you a drink" and as she caught my gaze, i just held the phone up a bit so she could read the scrolling message.

yes, yes, yes......it's super cheesy and borderline dumb, but you know what guys......it worked. not only did she get a kick out of it and giggle, come talk to me, and give me her #, but her girlfirends also told me it was kinda cute/creative and stayed around to chat with my buddies as well. not sure if they all scored #'s, but it was fun none-the-less.

or maybe she thought i was just d@mn hot....

eh...either way, i scored. :)

25. Xpublius macrumors newbie

Jeremy1026:

Originally Posted by Xpublius View Post
    I went to court not to long ago to do a hearing, and realized while the judge was calling the docket that I forgot to bring my list of questions. I quietly e-mailed my assistant, and she sent a copy to me. By the time I had to examine the witness, I had list on my iPhone. I just read everything off the screen. Pretty handy!

Where do you live? In Maryland you can't have you phone on in a courthouse, and can't even have a camera phone in the building.

I live in Oklahoma. We can't take cellphones into federal court, but in state court it's OK.