in windows i used to be able to cut

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ilovemymac7, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ilovemymac7 macrumors newbie

in windows i used to be able to go in a folder select one photo at the top then hold shift, scroll down to the bottom and click that last file, this would make all these files selected. Next i would be able to cut them and then paste in a different folder.
    Why can't i do ANY of these tasks on my mac?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This has been discussed a number of times ... Finder is lacking in this area.

As far as selecting everything like that, Icon view doesn't see the files as consecutive so it will not work, try switching to list or column view to see what I mean.

Yes, cut is lacking, but I find spring-loaded folders and Cmd+Drag work a lot better for me, since I would often forget to paste the files right away. You can't do that with Cmd+Drag.

3. ilovemymac7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not in Finder ...

Other apps, such as Word, Textedit, etc., yes - Cmd-X

5. ilovemymac7 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

There was a utility that enabled Cut. I thought it was Onyx, but I don't see it there anymore. Last time I did it was with Tiger, which was over a year ago. I haven't run into whatever program it was that enables it since then.

7. quotemeas macrumors regular

Hold down the "Command" (or "Apple" on older Apple keyboards) button and drag the file/folder to its new location. This will not copy the file to the location, rather move the existing file to the new location. This is a keyboard shortcut just like Command+C to Copy and Command+V to Paste. There is no contextual menu item for Cut.