In your opinion should I buy now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wowipod, Oct 31, 2009.

?

Should I buy for Christmas?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. wowipod macrumors regular

Considering the most recent rumors about the the macbook pro 6,1 and 6,2.

Should I buy a Macbook Pro 15' 2.8Ghz now or hold out for the new ones? I don't need a new computer this second. Just I was going to get it for christmas (I pay half, parents pay half).

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

If you can live without it for a few months, ask your parents for Christmas to promise to cover half the cost of a new computer in the spring. Chances are the MBP line will be getting a nice bump in the first quarter of 2010.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Agreed. If you don't need it now, just wait. Q1 2010 looks like a very likely upgrade period.

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

If you keep waiting for the next best thing to come from apple you are never going to buy one... Just get it now! I don't think apple is going to change much except the guts and maybe the price!

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Agreed if you keep waiting for the next upgrade, you'll never buy one, because as soon as a new model is released it will have a few minor problems which puts you off buying it, then there are rumors of an updated model a few months down the line! For your average user the little updates of stuff I don't fully understand make no difference to me!

I got my macbook early 2009, mid 2009 went down in price then near the end of 2009 they changed a few specs, changed the name to 'PRO' and added an SD slot! To anyone that dosn't keep on track of what apple are up to they'll never know what model you have! Just that you have the best laptop on the market! If it was rumored that a whole new design was coming out then I would wait, but a few upgrades dont really bother me!

6. wowipod thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that, but seen as I wouldn't get access to it for a few months anyway don't you think I should hold out for the update and grab it at the beginning of the cycle, then at least I'll be the most up to date I can be for a couple of months?

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Fair point, if you wont get it until christmas, you probably will only be a few weeks away from the next update. When I got mine I think that it was two or three weeks later they upgraded it! Was not impressed, but because I bought from a re-seller they refused to upgrade it, where as a real apple store would have, but they did give me lots of free stuff when I bought the macbook so that made me feel a bit better!

Also thanks for the idea of me paying half and my parents paying half for christmas I might do the same thing and upgrade after christmas, then sell the old one on ebay! :) Cheers

8. splitpea macrumors 6502a

There's a difference between waiting endlessly for the next best thing and judiciously waiting to get a bigger bang for your buck -- especially if you will be using the extra computing power, or if the newer more powerful or more upgradeable machine will mean it will last you longer before you have to spend again on another new computer.

It's one thing if your current computer is broken or isn't doing what you need it to, but if it's still serving you well, why spend as soon as possible for the sole purpose of having something newer? Then people wonder why they're up to their ears in debt (that or they make a heck of a lot of money in the first place -- but we mortals have to be careful about our purchases.)

Right now, Apple's Pro lines aren't giving you a very good deal for the hardware you're getting. In 3-4 months, they likely will be.

9. wowipod thread starter macrumors regular

My mate did the same thing. Except he got it as an early birthday present and then the range was all upgraded a few weeks later (before his bday). That's why I am a little cautious as well. I don't want that to happen.

10. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

If you are concerned about newer MacBook Pros being released, but still would like to get one now, I would suggest shopping for a refurb. I have bought a lot of Mac refurbs and only had an issue with one (which could have happened even if it were new). If you save some money and get some use out of a current gen MacBook, it might be worth it - since for all we know it could be another 4 months before new ones become available.

I just bought a MacBook Pro 13" for $999 off of the refurb site last week, and it is indistinguishable from brand new. We needed a laptop and just couldn't wait any longer...

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not sure why the heck a poll for this was really necessary, however at any rate don't kid yourself if you think you'll be getting the latest and greatest that will last for several months. Look what happened to the white Macbook. It was updated in June and this month it was changed to the new unibody. It's unpredictable. At one point the iMacs weren't updated until a year later and Apple hadn't touched the Mac mini's for over a year.
    No worries about creating threads, people are here to help but it's a bit premature to create this thread when you know you weren't getting anything until after christmas, it would've made more sense to ask then. That being said, there probably won't be any new Macbooks until march. Anyway, who cares you if you buy the most recent model, it won't be much different than the last ones, that's why buying a refurb is such a good deal, they aren't much different from the latest and you can save cash. Or you can have your mommie and daddy pay half of it for you. :p

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Ray Charles could have seen that one from a mile away. Plastic unibody. What else would it have been? Fairy dust?

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sarcasm at it's worst. You're wrong, there hasn't been a single rumor of the plastic Macbooks becoming plastic unibodys and so soon after the June release?

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Then don't buy one. Unless you want to.

15. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

And you don't play the guessing game with yourself? Look at Apple trends, the overall industry and you can get a vague idea of what future Apple computers may or may not have.

16. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I always have bought the best computer I could afford when I needed it. If you worry about what may be coming, you will buy nothing.

I bought a Mini for the family in September, guess what, a new model came out a few weeks after, but it does not take anything away from what this computer can do, or what I ask it do.

17. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

This round is different though and people are beginning to understand that. This wont be the normal Core 2 Duo > Core 2 Duo + speed bump. This will be a whole new architecture that provides unrivaled performance per watt for notebooks that will be powerful without being power hungry.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay, I geek I am, and I have my wish lists of what my favorite Mac will be like but I certainly don't spend time creating rumors on MR of what I think the next Mac will be like. At the end of the day, I'm a power user and I use my Mac for what it's designed to do, not for the design. Nor do I spend my time guessing what the next Intel processor or Nvidia or ATI GPU that can be overclocked will appear in the next Mac so I can wait for that one. The recent iMacs are the most substantial upgrade Apple has done in a very long time, however I'm not holding my breath that they will do that with their other Macs in the near future.
    I think the people worrying about buying towards the end of the lifecycle only want to buy the latest for bragging rights, not because they feel they got ripped off.
    I'm about to buy a new Samsung LED 40" TV, I'm not checking, nor do I care if it's getting close to the end of it's life and a new model will come and trump it. If it's the price I'm willing to pay and the features that I like I will buy now.

19. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

If we waited for the "next new model" we'd all still be sitting using a IBM PS/1 or Commodore VIC20.

If it suits your needs now, just buy it.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

How many times has that been said about the "next" processor update or "next" GPU update? Soon after the release of these new Macs with these specs, nobody is posting how freakin' fast their new Mac is and how well it kicks the crap out of the previous model, because it's not true and most people don't even utilize 1/4th of the power of these new Macs, again, it's just for bragging rights.

21. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I think we are all assuming that it will be different, but how many times we thought that about something and have gotten fooled.

22. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

This is MacRumors, we aren't most people. That being said, my personal uses will find me using Windows a lot and trust me, I will tax my MacBook Pro. Others might not. If your in no rush, why not wait. That's the case for the OP. Whatever he has been using has been working well enough for him so far. When 25th of Dec rolls around, it'll probably be about a month and a half wait at most.

23. chill. macrumors 6502

i waited for about 11 months for a refresh before buying my first mac, pining for it the entire time. i was dealing with a fading dell laptop and was trying to hold out with it for as long as i could. when the refresh hit, it was a great feeling being able to get the new shiniest toy, and i had no regrets for waiting so long - at least until another refresh hit a few months later, lol

24. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

who knows we could be looking at the nehalem architecture in MBPs in the spring.

25. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'd say it's very likely, Arrandale (i5 or i7) at least for the 15" and 17" models. It's more of a question for the 13" MBP.