In your opinion, will MS update Office 2011 for rMDP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inver, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Inver macrumors newbie

So now that I have my rMDP, I'm finding most of the apps looking great. For the most part, the apps I need are already updated, or good enough that the lack of an update isn't a problem. Even Microsoft's own Outlook 2011 looks pretty good.

But.... MS Word 2011 and MS Excel 2011 look terrible. They don't just look like they did on a non-retina display, they look practically unreadable (sort of like that line below the line you can read in the eye test).

While I know we don't have an official statement from MS on the subject, I am curious about everyone's opinion. Will Microsoft update Office for rMDP? Do they have a history of doing that sort of thing with their Mac Office (I'm coming from a Windows world and this is my first Mac experience)? Or are they more likely not to bother and just do it for Office 2014 (at least a year from now)?

If you don't think they will, what are you doing in the mean time? Using it anyway? Using an alternative (and which one is compatible enough to tolerate it)?

Thanks!

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I had used iWork in the past, but it was a hassle whenever someone sent me Office documents because you had to remember to re-export them out and such. So I switched to MS Office exclusively for a while.

Now with the retina, I have actually re-installed iWork (now that it has the retina update) and I will be using that for my personal documents.

I am keeping MS Office on though so that files that come in an Office format will be read natively by it (and thus easily saved and re-sent).

As far as updates, I don't think Microsoft will issue one for a long while, if not next year with Office 2013 or 2014 or whatever the next Mac version will be.

If Apple goes full retina by the end of the year though, with the rest of the macbooks going retina (or at least a 13" Pro) and the iMacs going retina, then maybe Microsoft will light a fire under the mac team and get a basic retina update out there sooner.

Overall, I wouldnt hold my breath. Go iWork for personal use, and you will be happy and have retina support. Keep Office for those documents that you need to share.