Inability for windows to lay between 2 displays - hide LED LCD color inconsistency?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 3282868, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I noticed in "Mavericks" windows are not allowed to rest between two displays. If I drag a window between my 27" displays, one half is always transparent, once dropped in place, only half of the window shows based on which display has the largest part.

I wondered why, then it occurred to me based on the years of problems with my 24" LED LCD panels and many with the current 27" models. When I set a window between my displays, it was very noticeable that the displays never truly matched, the colors were always noticeably off. This has been an issue with Apple's LED LCD's for years. I wonder if this is intentionally done so people are less likely to notice the matter.

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. Most likely it has to do with the new Spaces support; I'm assuming each window has to belong to a specific space (and must lay within the bounds of that space).

3. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Interesting. I hadn't noticed. It's not the display with the majority of the window, though, it's the display which the cursor is on when you release the window.

4. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Ah, hadn't thought of Spaces as the issue. I knew it had to be something, I was grasping at straws with a silly idea, I just couldn't figure it out.

Good call with the mouse cursor.

Ok this is the most bizarre thing. I rebooted my Mac Pro earlier as Finder was buggy. Just now I tried the mouse cursor idea; I moved this Safari browser window between my displays. It works as it did in 10.8. No transparent window in one display, and I can leave it in between the two.

It seems DP2 may have changed it, and a reboot kicked it in? Very strange.

Now it bugs me that one LED LCD is slightly pink and the other slightly yellow. :)