Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I have a MacBook Pro 15” from late 2013 that has given me no problems until today. I went to start the computer up and the red battery light came on the screen so I plugged the machine in. The charging symbol (lightening bolt) lit up, but even after 15 minutes or so the machine could not start up while plugged in. The light on the MagSafe charger is also not on, either. Is this the death of the power supply board or is there perhaps a happy outcome to this story?

Slight update: I don't know how I coaxed it into starting up, but I did. It is now at 4% charged even though it's been plugged in for over an hour. I'm scared to turn it off at this point. I've backed up all the files that hadn't already been backed up with the last pass on Time Machine. Is there hope here (i.e. can it be repaired?) or should I just think about buying a new Mac?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
It could just be a bad MagSafe adapter and not an issue with the MacBook. If you’re near an Apple store it’s probably best if you can get an appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.