Inaccurate Calorie Count?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JerryFox123, Oct 5, 2016.

1. JerryFox123 macrumors newbie

Been using the apple watch since it's release almost daily. Recently got the new iphone so had to unpair and repair it with this phone.
    My issue is that the calorie count seems completely off.
    Just did 20min of HIIT on bike, showed only 100 calories burned - wtf?

Past similar workouts showed 300+ calories. This low count is amount what you'd burn from only walking.

Anyone know what could be wrong? Is this due to the re-calibration from the re-pairing?

2. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I think the walking distance is also inaccurate.
    If I start an outdoor activity with iPhone the distance is really precise and I can even see it on the map, but at the end of each day the miles count shows a number that is far too high.
    I'm not sure it is using GPS from the iPhone while I'm walking (without starting a workout). The steps count may be ok, but many times during the day I take a phone call and start walking back and forward in the alley, but I take small steps and I'm afraid the Watch counts them as normal, as if I'm taking a stroll, and report a wrong distance.
    The calories of course are inaccurate as well since I'm not walking at a fast pace, nor taking long steps.

Did you start a workout to measure calories or did you just wear the Watch?

3. Julien, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

HIIT is an anaerobic/aerobic workout that can't accurately be measured based on HR data. You don't say what Activity Workout you use but it should be Other to get the closest since this relies more on accelerometer/gyroscope info. Even this will likely underestimate the caloric burn. HIIT will always be a problem for ANY fitness monitoring watch since it is unstructured and the ratio of anaerobic to aerobic is always different and changing.

4. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Make sure your body weight, etc is correct in the health app, or wherever else it may be recorded. Ive had Nike Running rewrite my weight to its default of 73 pounds. I dont know who weighs so little, but it threw off my calorie count significantly....If weight is correct future calculations will be more accurate, but whats already recorded cant be changed....

5. JerryFox123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're getting stuck on the HIIT part.
    A 20min normal bike ride would have been double the calories shown. HIIT at 170-180 BPM would have been 3x that.
    The point is that this is super way off. It's noting calories as if I were simply walking

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Maybe another reboot?

Interesting that it's so different after getting the new phone. +1 to what Ryanmrash said about checking to be sure your height/weight info is still correct in Health.