Inactive iPhone 3Gs with International SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GameSlayerGS, May 17, 2012.

1. GameSlayerGS macrumors newbie

I'll be going to Italy in a few weeks and was wondering what the best way to have cell service over there would be, since I currently have an iPhone 4 on Verizon, and that's not compatible with the networks over there. I still have my iPhone 3Gs that I had with AT&T prior to upgrading and switching to Verizon. What I want to know is if I can just rent a SIM card from some carrier over there and plop it in my iPhone 3Gs and it just work. Or would I need to do some sort of unlocking via a jailbreak and stuff first since it wasn't unlocked by AT&T prior to moving to Verizon?

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Indeed, AT&T iPhones are locked to AT&T. Try calling them to see if they'll unlock it for you as it is undoubtedly out of contract.

If they won't, your only option is to go with the jailbreak-method, or to upgrade to a 4S and have Verizon unlock it for international carriers.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Based on everything AT&T has said, they should do that.

Assuming:

-The OP was the account holder (or could ask the account holder to call and request the unlock)
    -The account has no outstanding debt

4. GameSlayerGS thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, uh... what I meant by "Inactive" in the thread Title, is that the account with AT&T no longer exists, the phone number was transferred to my iPhone 4 with Verizon, so... I can't have AT&T unlock it as far as I know. Does that just leave the jailbreak method? Or can they still unlock it somehow? I should clarify that I am willing to jailbreak it to unlock it for this, I'd likely end up restoring it afterwards though.

5. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

They can definitely unlock it. And so far as I know, they will for a current or former customer, if the phone is out of contract or an ETF has been paid and there are no more charges due.

6. GameSlayerGS thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, sounds good. Would I need to take it to an AT&T store for that? I'm guessing so, since it has no service. I'd think they can't still do that remotely.

7. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I am not an AT&T customer myself so I'm not completely sure, but I believe just calling them should suffice.

The unlock is based off of Apple's servers, so all you need is your computer with iTunes and an internet connection.

8. GameSlayerGS thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, okay. I'll probably do that then. Thanks for the help.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

As mentioned by others, AT&T should still unlock the device assuming that when you ended service with them there was no debt or other outstanding obligation.