Inactive RAM causing issues with many problems being opened 2010 '13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Out of curiosity i wanted to see how many applications my 13" mac book pro 2010 could handle with 4GB DDR3 Memory. Now upon appearance on activity monitor i had active and inactive ram. Which is believe is a normal experience a mac determined where the ram is best used.

I therefore then decided to open many (being about 10 applications) on the mac book to see how it would handle. Now it seems to have used all of the free ram available but absolutely none of the inactive ram and in result the experience became seriously sluggish and slow like you would if you didnt have enough ram. Now i cant determine why my inactive ram hasnt been used which remains over a GB of the total memory, i have attached a screenshot.

I hope someone can help because i dont expect this form such a computer.

Sorry i was typing this whilst on a phone call apologies the title should read: Inactive RAM causing many issues with many programs being opended 2010 13"

Attached Files:

2. bearboykahlo macrumors newbie

I don't think this means what you think this means. I'm not super versed in memory specifics, someone else can explain the difference if they choose (I end up reading about it, then forgetting it a month later). It looks normal to me.

However PowerPoint is using 92% of your CPU! Maybe that's what's causing slowness?

3. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Thank You for your reply is much appreciated. Wow i didnt notice powerpoint was using that much of the CPU that's quite unbelieveable :confused: i guess this might be a microsoft thing with office then :rolleyes:

Thanks Again, I did find a memory cleaner application and it appears to free-up this inactive memory.