Inactive RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbadalucco, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

So I currently have 18gb of RAM in my MacPro (2008). When I'm using HandBrake after 30 mins or so it shows 17.98gb used with around 15gb free. After reading it sounds like the "inactive" ram will be allocated when needed, my question is would the sytem benefit from more RAM or do I already have more than enough?

I don't really want to buy more ram regardless, but I was curious.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What are your page outs like? If the ratio of page ins to page outs is high (mine is currently 10:1), you don't need more RAM.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You can never have enough RAM! :D Yes, you would benefit from more RAM. But whether or not it would be worth the price (after already having 18 GB) is the question you need to ask yourself. Pageouts may or may not tell you the answer to your question. How often do you see your memory usage approaching 90% or passing it?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's when you have a substantial amount of your RAM as 'Wired' or 'Active' that is a sign that you can use more more.

5. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

Used is past 90% daily...however at the same time whenever Used is past 90%, Inactive is around 15gb.

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I think you probably have more than enough. As long as you're
    not getting large numbers of pageouts, I wouldn't be concerned.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

"Used" includes Inactive RAM, which is literally in use, but not really being used from a standpoint of "Do I have enough RAM"

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, but it's MUCH faster - so still advantageous to have as much of it as possible. Where is the limit? I dunno but some sever MB's (even under $500) allow 144GB. I imagine 30 to 50 GB would be "enough" for a typical day's work. For RAM based flip-books that so many video editors incorporate even 144GB might not be enough. :D