Inactive Safari Fading Transparent?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arkanok, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok so just the other day, I noticed that my safari window was fading transparent any time I would make it an inactive window, for example by clicking onto the desktop. I don't know why or how this could have happened, although the only thing I remember installing recently enough was "Inquisiter" for Safari, but I've uninstalled that and it still seems to be happening.

I'm using the most recent version of the Safari 4 beta in case you needed to know.

I guess it's not really a BIG deal since it doesn't really harm my ability to do anything in OS X, but I'm just a little confused as to how this happened in the first place. Does anybody know why or how this happened and how I could disable this?

Here's a video of it happening just to help you understand what's happening:
    http://vimeo.com/4997416

2. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Nobody? Nobody has ever seen this or know what to do to fix it? Maybe a terminal command?

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm pretty sure what you're describing is what's supposed to happen, but a screenshot would be nice...

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Uhh, follow the link I posted, it's to video of a screen recording that shows the problem. Video works better than a screenshot in this case if you ask me.

But I've never heard of this being something that's supposed to happen, unless they updated it in the newest safari 4 beta?

5. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, well it seems to be happening to more than just Safari. It's also happening to help file windows, system prefs, and a few others... Doesn't happen to finder or even iTunes, however...

6. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

In addition to the video I posted a link to of the situation, here's a screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Have you recently installed any UI enhancements? Because I know some of them make that an option.

TEG

8. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well I thought of that, and the only app that I've installed that MIGHT do something like this was Onyx, but I installed that ages ago, haven't opened it in about 4 weeks, and the problem JUST happened about 3 days ago. I even set everything in Onyx to default and uninstalled it but it's still happening.

The only other thing that I've installed was this thing called Inquisitor, but that's just a search add on for safari.

This problem is now happening to more than safari.. Kinda odd if you ask me.

9. glasserp macrumors regular

could you have possibly installed Afloat? i believe it will do that exact same thing. click the Window menu at the top when using safari to see if you have any Afloat options.

10. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I've never heard of afloat to be honest, but maybe if I install it, it'll tell me that transparency is enabled and gimmie an option to change it.

11. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok, so I installed afloat and when I went into the options to set the alpha value, it was already set to fade, so I selected to disable the fading and it worked, but I'm curious as to how the heck this happened in the first place!?

So, real quick, does anybody know if there's a terminal command for "SetAlphaValue" that'll affect the entire OS? As it stands so far, it seems that I have to manually fix this for all apps.