Inactive touchpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JoelSnod, May 25, 2008.

1. JoelSnod macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new black MacBook, Penryn based. It is perfect with the exception of the trackpad.

When using the trackpad, it will occasionally go crazy. I think what happens is that it thinks that two fingers are being applied. When I have the two finger scrolling on, it will start scrolling when I only have one finger on the pad. If I have the scrolling deactivated, it doesn't seem to do it quite as much, but it will go unresponsive for a few seconds. It acts like it would if you put another finger on the pad while you're moving the mouse around.

I have turned the "ignore accidental trackpad" on and off to see if that helps, and it doesn't. Sometimes rebooting helps, but I think that's just coincidental. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if it is software or hardware. About every other day I check for software updates, but I'm kind of lost. Is there anyway I can fix this without taking it in somewhere or having to send it somewhere?

Maybe I just have super fat fingers... :)

2. toby jones macrumors member

I find this happens a bit for me in Powerpoint 2003... Are you having trouble with it in a particular application or across multiple applications? (I'm wondering if Office 2008 could be the culprit because this problem is ringing a bell for me)

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Try resetting PRAM, also verify Disk, and repair permissions.

4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

5. JoelSnod thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the PRAM and it seems to be working pretty smoothly, at least for the past 24 hours. Thanks for the help