Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelSnod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2008
IA
I recently bought a new black MacBook, Penryn based. It is perfect with the exception of the trackpad.

When using the trackpad, it will occasionally go crazy. I think what happens is that it thinks that two fingers are being applied. When I have the two finger scrolling on, it will start scrolling when I only have one finger on the pad. If I have the scrolling deactivated, it doesn't seem to do it quite as much, but it will go unresponsive for a few seconds. It acts like it would if you put another finger on the pad while you're moving the mouse around.

I have turned the "ignore accidental trackpad" on and off to see if that helps, and it doesn't. Sometimes rebooting helps, but I think that's just coincidental. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if it is software or hardware. About every other day I check for software updates, but I'm kind of lost. Is there anyway I can fix this without taking it in somewhere or having to send it somewhere?

Maybe I just have super fat fingers... :)

toby jones

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2007
I find this happens a bit for me in Powerpoint 2003... Are you having trouble with it in a particular application or across multiple applications? (I'm wondering if Office 2008 could be the culprit because this problem is ringing a bell for me)

JoelSnod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2008
IA
I reset the PRAM and it seems to be working pretty smoothly, at least for the past 24 hours. Thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.