Inadvertantly deleted my Downloads Stack....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobasco27, Dec 22, 2010.

1. tobasco27 macrumors member

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you just deleted it out of the dock (by dragging it off) then open Finder, click and drag Downloads back onto the dock. If the Downloads folder isn't in your Finder sidebar then click on your username in Finder and it should be in there.

3. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

I did that, but the Downloads folder only opens as a window and not in the cool stacking feature offered as part of Snow Leopard.

Any ideas on how to get the "stack" back? :D

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right click on it and you'll see the options.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Control+click if you have a one-button mouse.

6. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

First, thanks for the explanation because being a PC user for most of my adult life my MacPro touch pad doesn't do a right click. Is there something I can do to make it right click?

Also, I did the control + click and it gives an option to have it either in folder or stack option, but either way I do it, it stays in the folder mode. What am I doing wrong?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I've never owned a laptop, so can't help you with trackpad functionality. Also, I'm not at my Mac. But, once you get control+click to work on the Stack, you should see a menu with two or three categories, and options under each one. Play around with them. You should notice changes. The "Display As" options will display the Stack as a Folder or a Stack. Kind of overlapping terminology there, but the difference is in the appearance of the icon in the Dock.

8. tobasco27 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh.... got it! Once you select Stack, then you have to select "Fan" and that made it work.

Thanks for all your help guys!

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Just curious. Before you clicked "Fan", what was checked in that list?

I think the heading "Display As" should be "Display Icon As". That would head off some confusion. After all, the one below is "View Content As", and the one above is "Sort By", which is clearly another Content setting. So, from top to bottom it goes Content, Icon, Content; but the first two aren't labeled as such.