InApp Purchases

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TrenttonY, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

So I I get an in App Purchase and delete the app what happens? If I reflow load the same app do I get those in app purchases I paid for before I deleted the app?

2. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Most apps have a restore purchases button. You just have to put in the Apple ID you used to buy the in app purchase .

3. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does that mean I get my money back or I do that to the new installed app and what I bought comes back?

4. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

No you don't get you're money back unless you contact Apple (Say your kid spent $10,000 worth of in app purchases :eek::rolleyes:;)) You just get back the content of what you bought.

5. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Having "restore purchases" functionality is a requirement for apps under Apple's iOS Developer Guidelines. In other words, ALL apps should offer it. Apple has been known to reject apps during the approval stage for not including this functionality.

(iOS Developer)

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Thanks for the details. I'm a little less scared now to try in-app purchases.

7. Snowshiro, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Even if they don't have a specific restore button, making a non-consumable (i.e. permanent) in app-purchase works in exactly the same way as a normal app purchase. So if you buy it a second time, it goes through the purchase process and then says something like "you've already bought this, do you want to download it again".

Be careful with stuff like various points/credits/coins etc. that games use though. These are classed as "consumable" purchases and the app developer is responsible for keeping track of how much in-game currency you bought - the restore function isn't available because the purchase is one-time only. So, if you buy 500 coins for $1, you won't be able to restore them unless the developer keeps a track of your coin total in a database on their server somewhere. As far as Apple is concerned they just handle the payment and notify the developer that the money was received, so that $1 could have been for 1000, 5000 or 1000000000 coins - it's not their concern.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No. You don't get your money back. And you only get the thing back if it's non consumable.

In other words, you buy lives and use them, you aren't getting them back. Or at least not all of them. You buy issues of a magazine or buy out having ads and yes that is restored.

----------

Don't count on that tactic. They don't always jump to returning the money given they don't have to. So say those purchases were over several weeks or months. They can and have said to folks no refund since you got a receipt after every buy so you should have figured out and stopped your kid. That very thing happened to a guy in the UK and he reported his own kid for credit card fraud to try to get the credit card company to reverse the charges