Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Inbox by Gmail app for iOS devices was today updated with support for the iPhone X, a full eight months after the larger-screened iPhone launched.

Since November 2017, Inbox by Gmail has received 13 updates, none of which included iPhone X support until today. Inbox is one of Google's last apps to get iPhone X support, with most other apps updated earlier in the year.

inboxgmail-800x646.jpg
Before update on left, after update on right​

Following today's update, the Inbox by Gmail app will no longer display black bars at the top and the bottom of the app, with your list of emails taking up the full length of the screen.

According to Google's release notes, no other new features were included in today's update.

Google today also updated its standard Gmail app for iOS, introducing support for high-priority notifications for important messages.

Inbox by Gmail can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Gmail can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Inbox by Gmail Finally Gains Support for iPhone X

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Too late. I moved on to AirMail. I do use inbox from time to time if Airmail gets buggy while searching all my archived mail, so it's a welcoming change.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I've had people ask me for the last 9 months why I bought an iPhone 8 over an X, I continue to keep track of things like this. When Apple makes major industrial changes, it takes about 12 months for the big developers to catch up to the new design. I'd have been pissed dealing with a year of iPhone X usage with half of the apps not even supporting the design. Looking forward to embracing the notch this year.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Well you clearly never saw this video from Microsoft. :)

But no, Google doesn't read your emails.

not sure how old this video is, but gmail stopped scanning email for ads last year:
https://blog.google/products/gmail/...ail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/

"G Suite’s Gmail is already not used as input for ads personalization, and Google has decided to follow suit later this year in our free consumer Gmail service. Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ads personalization after this change."

the "scandal" of last week only applied if you use your google credentials for a 3rd party email app.

Reactions: mistasopz

f12003_ga

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2015
Australia
Finally they updated there app to support iPhone X , they had to because of Apple guidelines about all apps from July 2018 must support iPhone X resolution. Lazy Google simple!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.