Inboxes & Accounts Repetition under Mail App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Jun 28, 2010.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I have 5 e-mail addresses that I have always had set up and checked since using previous generations of the iPhone software. Now on the new iPhone 4.0, the same 5 e-mail addresses are listed twice: once under "Inboxes", and once under "Accounts". What is the cause of this repetition? How do I get rid of one of the categories so it only displays my 5 e-mail addresses once, rather than twice?

Edit: I feel there should be a disable option available to disable "Inboxes" since I already have repetitive "Accounts". This option allows people to keep it how it is now versus how it was in the past. What do you think?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Unfortunately I don't think you can. And I don't care for it either.

The top are all inboxes ONLY

The bottom list are "full" accounts (meaning you have inboxes + all the other folders.

Seems redundant and silly to me too

3. jtara macrumors 65816

It's because of the new "all inboxes" feature, I guess. And it's perfectly normal.

They've simply gathered all your inboxes at the top level for convenience. If you want to drill-down to folders, you do it by tapping on one of the accounts.

Apple really does need the new UI guru that they just hired. Not just for a notification system. (I guess he's famous for designing a notification system that doesn't use pop-ups for another phone.)

The old organization of accounts and mailboxes was confusing, as well, because, by default, the display comes-up focused on your most-recently-use inbox, rather than account. It's strange for a drill-down hierarchy to initially come up drilled-down. (e.g. it's drilled-down one level from the top-level "account".) It took me days after I first got my iPhone to figure out how to access different accounts! I know, there's that arrow listing the account name, but I missed it somehow.

And, guess what? Now under 4.0, Inboxes and Accounts in aggregate are called "Mailboxes". This is clearly not true! Somebody needs to get a dictionary! An account is NOT an mailbox! Argggghhh! This is just sloppy, slooppy UI design, without thinking of how the user will perceive it.

One more: Mail *still* doesn't include mail received directly in folders (other than the inbox) in the badge numbers, nor do they badge folders. I arrange to have a lot of my email pre-sorted into folders. And, so, the iPhone mail system is pretty non-functional for me.

There's nothing wrong with your phone. It's just bad design.

4. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Funny, I have outlook rules set on my exchange account to sort mail into folders, and my unread mail counter is just fine, at the top level and in sub-folders. You must be using it wrong.

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Perhaps that is unique to Exchange.

I am using IMAP. (Rackspace Mail.)