Incase Compact Backpack

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RyanMacm, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

Today i got this backpack for my 13" MacBook Pro. It's great.

I was just wondering if anyone has this backpack?

I'm using it for school, out & about, and traveling purpose.

just curious if anyone has this incase backpack :)

2. MacaDroid macrumors member

I do, I like it a lot! :D
    I was thinking about getting a Herschel Little America bag though.

3. quickmac macrumors 6502

I ordered the full size one other day during their massive sale. I have a 15 inch but wanted the extra compartments and space the 17 inch pack offers.

looking forward to it.

4. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Pics! I mean, this is the Picture Gallery section after all.

5. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

How much space does it have in the compartments with the laptop and stuff in there? Looking for a new bag to lug my iPad, Air, and thick law books around in. I assume the name "Compact" tells me my answer. :D

6. MacaDroid macrumors member

It is more spacious than you would think, but lugging around law books (which I assume are huge haha) may not be the best idea. I'd probably recommend the incase backpack for the 17" MBP, it isn't a lot bigger than the compact bag but it offers a lot more space. :apple:

7. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I have the bigger incase backpack. I frickin love it! I've had it for 2 years and it is the best backpack I've ever had! Looks brand new still!

8. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Is it comfortable for lugging a lot of weight around? And how well padded is the case for a smaller computer (13" MBA / iPad). I assume the 17" wasn't designed for smaller ones.

Glad both of you like your bags! I've always loved incase for iPhone cases, not that it translates :p

9. MacaDroid macrumors member

The smaller one is comfortable for lugging around some weight, I'd say it starts getting a little bit uncomfortable, for me anyway, with about a math textbook, a binder, 13" MBP, pens/pencils, and a water-bottle. I also recently just bought the full-sized one, Heathered Incase Bag, and it fits my 13" fine and also feels a bit more comfortable even with the same amount of weight as the compact. Overall, if I could make a recommendation I would say go full size just off of the extra real estate. Hope this helps, and sorry for pirating your question haha. Cheers!:apple:

10. Elevon macrumors regular

Awesome, I have my eyes locked onto the green or red full size canvas backpack = ]
    might invest on it very soon

11. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I own one too, and really like it. I use it for study, work, traveling, in combination with a MacBook Air 13".

Pros:

1. It has a very slim profile, but still packs quite a lot off stuff. Next to my MacBook Air it can fit a lot of thick books, binders, etc. if needed.

2. It has many pockets to store stuff like pens, cables, etc. Makes it easy to keep all that stuff in one place. The top also has a special pouch with soft padding for a phone or something like that. There's a string plus clip to attach your keys too as well.

[​IMG]

I think I have an older model; I don't have the second sleeve thing next to the laptop, nor the little zippered pouch, but otherwise it's pretty much the same as this (random) picture.

The front part folds back quite a bit as you can see, so it's easy to find stuff. But it's still a top loader, so if you put something down at the bottom you'll still have to remove everything that's on top. But that's the case with most backpacks.

3. The laptop-department is quite big for a MacBook Air, but I just stuff it with a binder or a book, so it doesn't really matter. It's very well padded, and, most importantly, it doesn't go all the way to the bottom. This way the weight of the laptop is centered in the back, and doesn't make the bag press down.

If you have a bag where the laptop just presses down on the bottom, and you hate it because it makes your back hurt after a while, you'll love this.

4. The straps are very sturdy, well padded and positioned. This, combined with 3, makes the pack very stable and distributes the weight nicely so even with a fully packed bag you'll only notice a fraction of the weight. The handle is padded as well and feels very solid.

I also use the pack for traveling light. A 2-3 day trip, and this bag is all I need. If you pack efficiently you'll be surprised how much stuff you can fit in here, and still bring everything you need.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and it still looks brand new; no exaggeration. I don't do much stuff to really wear down a bag, but still. It also survived quite a few storms but nothing inside ever got wet.

So, very good quality, and lots of little details that I appreciate. Example: you can even tuck away the zippers (which are very silent) so they're completely hidden, making the back look even more sleek, and preventing others from easily opening up the pockets on the back. Also no velcro anywhere, so no annoying sounds when opening up your bag in a library.

I don't know how you call this, but the things you use to adjust the length of the straps with tuck away easily too, so they're never hanging loose or gathering dust/dirt when you put the back down on the ground.

One thing to consider though, it doesn't really stand up straight by itself. The bottom is a bit rounded, so (depending on what you pack) in most cases it'll fall over if it can't lean on something like a wall or chair. Depending on your use this might be annoying.

12. whitebook macrumors regular

no offense, but why are you telling us this OP??

13. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

To persuade and help to make a choice to buy this bag you fool.

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Very comfortable,well padded, and plenty of room. I thought the compact wouldn't have enough room for my books, iPad, macbook, charger, journal, and other crap I carry :D

15. Elevon macrumors regular

Its a shame the newer line of incase backpacks zippers aren't covered, so you can't tuck them in like before... :(

16. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the thorough reviews and thanks to OP for making this post. :)

One more question from me, you guys have near convinced me and while this isn't a total deal breaker, it looks like (from Amazon photos) there is no mesh pouch or side pouch or anything like a lot of backpacks have your drink; like a water bottle, coke, coffee mug, etc.. Am I missing it or is it not there?

17. MacaDroid macrumors member

Nope there is nothing there :/. That's probably my biggest complaint about these bags, and the reason why I ultimately chose the full-size bags. They have room for a water-bottle to be tucked to side of the inside compartment.

18. palebluedot, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Ah OK. That is a huge bummer but it seems that, when it comes to bags, you can't have everything. :D

Is the material waterproof at least? I'd be scared to put wet sodas or water bottles in my bag and have moisture soak through to the computer pocket.

(Edit) Just found the Booq bags, they look really similar to the incase except most have a pocket for a drink. OP or any of the other super help MR users here, any thoughts on comparison? I trust your opinions over Amazon reviews any day :p )

19. MacaDroid macrumors member

Sorry man I can't give you a comparison, but I can tell you that the incase bags do well with water. I don't know if they are actually labeled as water-proof, but if had mine out in the rain and with water bottles in the bag and I have never had any issues with my computer getting any type of moisture around it. Hope this helps.

20. Elevon macrumors regular

Take a look at the paul rodriguez lite backpack by incase, although its a line which focuses on skaters, but it has most features from the regular backpacks like compartments for the macbook pro/ipad... it also has the mesh side pouch your looking for =]

21. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i looked at this before i bought my thule crossover 32l. did not like the material used in incase and it seemed a bit cheap, here is a pic of the one I have... but i am still lost as to why you posted here in the picture forum in the first place.

[​IMG]

as well as a link to the backpack: click here after you return you're incase

22. Elevon macrumors regular

Thule is indeed more functional than incase, but i prefer the simplicity of incase design. well tbh its all down the personal prefs after all...

23. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I agree. I like the simple look of incase, and they are still durable. Maybe my next backpack will be incase, but that's years from now I hope

24. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I usually have a slim bottle of water with me, that fits nicely in the bag. Either next to some books (if they're not as wide as the bag itself) or laying down on top. Either way, unless you fully pack the bag there's enough room to fit in a small bottle of water. If you want to carry around a .5L or 1L bottle this bag isn't for you :p

I always make sure the bottles I carry with me in any bag can be properly sealed off and don't leak, so I'm never too worried. External pouch would be nice indeed, but it would completely break the sleek look/feel of the bag, so that would be a compromise you'd have to make.

25. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I tried the Thule 32L mentioned in this thread, it's def. nice but the straps have near zero padding which is pretty uncomfortable for such a large bag that can carry so much stuff.

Does anyone know of a backpack similar to the Booq Mamba Shift (http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backp...aptop-backpack) but with a little more storage space?

The Booq Mamba has the most wide and comfortable straps I've ever worn but it has a goofy curved shape at the bottom of the bag that keeps you from putting anything substantive in there. I have to carry 2-3 1000 and under page law books a day plus an Air and iPad so I need a little more room. As I said, the Tule Crossover 32L is pretty huge (not a bad thing). The problem with the Thule is the straps dig into you and have little padding or space.

Surely there is a mid-size bag in-between the smallness of Booq and the Thule? If only Booq was a bit bigger it would be the perfect bag.

Any additional suggestions would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated as my Jansport bag is on its last leg during finals :p