Incase Compact Backpack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 6, 2009.

1. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier :confused: I'm looking for a backpack that isn't too bulky, yet will protect my 15" MBP and be able to carry a text book and a notebook at the same time. Does anyone have the Compact Backpack? Is it very large? It looks like it may be able to hold more than just the MBP, but I can't really tell from their website, or Apple's. Help, anyone? Thanks!

2. prnoct90 macrumors regular

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Im also looking for one but for a Uni 17". Handed down my MBP to my daughter (going into second year college) and she rides a bike to school.
    Looking into the InCase Paul Rodriguez one:
    http://goincase.com/products/detail/cl55176
    Anyone have tips on a rugged one?

4. spiff303 macrumors newbie

regular incase is superb. got one for my umbp 17" a few weeks ago. great carrying capacity, very comfortable and well constructed, yet not at all bulky or 'thick' when it's not loaded up. is more tall and skinny than short and fat. wife was so impressed with build quality and design that she ended up getting one for her umbp 13" too (needed to carry a few books around, so the regular one really fits the bill). got 'em both cheap incl. shipping here: http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=INCASE&ID=4044104&ref=GB

5. migsev macrumors regular

*bump*

Would anyone know if the Compact Backpack is available at retail Apple stores? I'm looking for the red one in particular, hopefully in the Mission Viejo CA area. I have a cousin over there who is gonna buy it for me but I gotta point him out to a store.:eek:

6. Xyp macrumors newbie

I know that they sometimes carry the Incase bags at the Apple Stores, but I'd call first...

7. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

The Incase Compact backpack is one of the greatest bag ive ever used. I am a university student carrying a 15" mbp around with 2 sometimes 3 textbooks and some notes.. Carrying that lots of stuff amazingly fitted into this backpack.. The greatetst thing is that it has its own unique compartment for your mac so it is safe against bump and all that crazy stuff..

I bought mine at the local Apple Store about 3 months ago. They stocked up quite a few back then.. Id call first just to make sure.

8. EVO9Nate macrumors member

I use "The North Face RECON" backpack to carry my 15" MACBOOK PRO and college books, etc... http://www.rei.com/product/770396

It has been nothing short of outstanding for me.

-This back pack is very well padded for extra protection. This padded section seems to be designed for carrying a Laptop and it does so perfectly.

-It also has a water resistant design. In case you get stuck in the rain for a short period of time.

-The shoulder straps are very well padded maintaining good circulation if you have to carry a lot of weight for a long period of time. I sometimes ride my bicycle (10 miles) into work and I have to carry lots of necessary items.

IMHO, The North Face Recon series backpacks are also very stylish as well...

-Nate

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

+1 for the North Face Recon.

Great bag with a lifetime guarantee. If something goes wrong, just take it to a North Face store and they'll repair or replace it.

10. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Nice! I was wondering if the compact version would be big enough for a few books and notes. Like to keep the bag as small as possible. This one sounds (and looks) like a great choice.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't underestimate the compactness of the regular InCase backpack. It's also very compact, but not small. For a uni student, I'd choose it over the compact version. Also, the padding of the laptop compartment is far better in the regular version.

The best thing about these backpacks is that they never look "saggy". They're rectangular, and they stay that way. The black versions look like briefcases for your back. It looks clean, not sloppy, even under load. I work at a hospital, and I purposely bought this laptop to take to work. In some ways, it looks smarter than some of the Crumpler messenger/shoulder bags that I see here (Melbourne = home of Crumpler, so lots of people have them).

If you're the type who wears their backpack sagging down (i.e. the straps are too long), then perhaps you're not the type who cares about looking "smart". If you want to look good regardless of how much, or how little, you're carrying in your bag, this is definitely the one to get.

I currently own 4 backpacks (seriously....), 2 messenger bags, and a work bag. All of them are good for one reason or another. I don't buy crap. If I need to carry my laptop, a book or two, and a complete change of clothes (plus toothbrush, etc), I'll carry my other school-sized backpack. However, for carrying a laptop, 2 textbooks, an AC adapter and accessories, and a water bottle, this is the one I'd turn to 99% of the time.

12. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I like the reviews of the normal backpack as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hypY6FeLU (compact)
    Edit: another one on the compact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re7hyVB01z4
    Bit low qual, but it shows you that it'll fit 2 thick books + some papers + MacBook pretty nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOHjVSEn44 (normal)

From what I could find on the fit/bulkiness:

Compact:
    [​IMG]

Normal:
    [​IMG]

What about those straps at your waist and chest? Can you tuck them away somewhere if you don't want to use them, or are they always just hanging there?

13. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Got the Incase Compact Backpack today and it looks great! Very sturdy, fits my 13" MacBook just fine along with 2-3 books, bottle of water and a binder, yet not bulky at all. Very strong shoulder straps, and you can hardly feel any of the weight when it's on. The straps at the bottom (to change the length) seem to be made of seatbelt material, and don't dangle loose. A huge difference compared to my regular bags that just pull on your back and shoulders all day long. It doesn't push into my back either, so it's allows for enough breathing which is great now that the temperature is going up again. It also doesn't fall over when you put it on the floor. There aren't too many pockets inside compared to the regular one, but enough for my use (some cables, charger, pens (no exclusive pen pockets though)).

Overall: very nice :)

14. migsev macrumors regular

I was about to pull the trigger on the red one from the Apple online store, until I saw the price. The red one is $99.95 while all the other colors are $79.95.

Any chance this is a pricing error and will be corrected eventually? :(

15. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I'm really torn on the incase compact backpack and now that im switching to the 15 have started looking for something more than my usual incase nylon sleeve. I like the look of it online and especially the lucky Japanese one but in the store it kind of looked like something you would wear if you were an astronaut... So I'm still on the lookout for the perfect way to carry the 15.

16. migsev macrumors regular

Caved in and tried to order the red one. Looks like there's a mix up in their systems as the red compact backpack comes up as the normal nylon one. No wonder the price is different.

17. aCondor macrumors 6502

I actually just recently purchased the Nylon Backpack from Incase and it looks great. The construction is excellent, inside and out. Not big, either. My suggestion. I am in college and it is a great bag.

18. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Can I throw in a suggestion for another great backpack? STM Evolution. I was looking at incase compacts but they look like turtle shells to me. The STM is a great backpack and has LOTS of room.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

incase canvas backpack

i recently got the BLACK incase CANVAS backpack

exactly same as the regular nylon backpack except made of cotton coated canvas

i prefer this material over the nylon as cotton is natural and nicer to th e touch

made a review vid of it right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJUkXcun4Q

let me know what u guys think!