incase doesnt fit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Optimus Primes, May 6, 2010.

1. Optimus Primes macrumors member

I just bought a incase hard shell for my 15 mbp 2010th. The top part just doesn't completely click on all four places. Bottom one fits perfectly. Anyone else had a similar experience?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Your bottom fits? even with the power adapter?

3. Optimus Primes thread starter macrumors member

Bottom fits don't know about power adapter. I tried it on my older mbp and it fits but doesn't fit on my newer one. Ugh. Is this normal?

4. Reapur macrumors regular

Those hard shells are lame, dust and dirt will collect in-between the chasis and the shell and will also make the machine run a bit hotter. Return it and get a soft pouch.

5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

He's asking a simple question: if anyone else is having the same problem. He surely didn't ask for your generalized opinions on what you think about hardshell cases, did he ?

6. Optimus Primes thread starter macrumors member

I will probably return it but I'm just curious if the new mbps are different than the 2009 ones physically.

7. Hadron macrumors regular

According to the specs the dimensions are identical.

8. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Thats weird. the cases are exactly the same. I took my incase hardshell right off my 2009 MBP and put it on my 2010 MBP. Only crappy thing is the charger wont fit, you just have to turn it around(witch will block the firewire and network ports). BTW i have done many test with and without the incase shield on and there are no temp differences at idle and and 100% cpu usage. So dont worry about that.:p

9. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Wrong, they actually keep it cooler. Both inCase and Speck cases create a gap between the laptop and the case, allowing more air to flow and keep it cooler, vs putting it on your lap or hard table there's less air flow across the metal bottom.

FWIW I have the Speck case... I shopped the inCase and Speck, both fit fine (if yours doesn't, return or exchange it)... however both have the power adaptor issue. The power adaptor changed for 2010 and the hard shell cases block it slightly. From Speck, their usual funny response when I inquired:

"Our MacBook Pro cases are tight! But just not QUITE... And that’s not the way we do things at Speck. Our stuff fits perfect. Period.

Although our cases fit the new machines as snug as ever, the power plug that ships with the MacBook Pro line changed to the new 90-degree MagSafe. This means that 1mm of plastic interference with our SeeThru and SeeThru SATIN cases causes the MagSafe adapter to plug in slightly crooked (see fig. 1), and not quite as secure as it’s supposed to be. It WILL fit and charge like this. However, for a 100% seated connection, the MagSafe can be plugged in “backwards” (see fig. 2). As this covers the USB port and looks a bit goofy, this workaround is not a perfect fit in our eyes.

New cases that do not have this slight fit issue will be available in the near future, however, if you’d like to buy a case now, anyone can do this simple modification to fix the problem:

You can easily shave off the extra plastic in just a moment’s time using a file: even a simple metal nail file from a drugstore will do! We aren’t totally stoked on asking customers to modify their cases if the interference is bothersome… But on the balance, the environmental impact of scrapping, shipping, un-packing, and re-packing the cases (which do allow for charging functionality, if slightly unaesthetically) just doesn’t measure up to a few strokes of a nail file."

Hope that helps!

10. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Good info. It does work with the Speck case, which I prefer the colors better than those by inCase

11. teachpro macrumors newbie

incase shell

Not an answer to your question, exactly, but the store was out of incase shells in the color I wanted. I got a Speck satin see-through hard shell case in black, and I'm thrilled with it. :D

12. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I agree on this too, I loved the satin see thru but it makes the laptop a lot thicker, whereas the incase hard and speck hard see thru add very little thickness.

13. Reapur macrumors regular

I find this quite hard to believe, plastic is an insulator and can trap in heat rather than transferring it. If you could provide evidence of this claim I would love to see it.

14. bella92108 macrumors 68000

They're OPEN on the bottom. Tons of people have provided the tests. Press SEARCH.

15. Reapur macrumors regular

Tiny little holes in the bottom where there are no vents for the actual fans of the computer to intake air through the bottom are not going to really help all that much. The ventilation is located in the hinge for the screen of the computer. A poster on this forum said he did a test on both inCase and Speck and both trapped heat in more than if there was no shell on it. Plastic insulates therefore will trap heat in. Also if you work by a window and use the black shell, direct sunlight will also add to heat accumulation. Physics is not going to change just because you have tiny perforations on the bottom of the shell that are going to get blocked anyways by your legs when its sitting on your lap.

Personally I dont use cases for anything, not even my cell phone. I have my backpack that has a sleeve for the computer in it to protect it. All my electronics are in mint condition because they are treated with respect and caring. I would recommend just using a soft pouch for when you carry your computer if you dont want to use a purpose made bag for the computer.

16. mainemanx macrumors newbie

My white Incase fits my 15" i7 perfectly... notwithstanding that I had to file a 1/4" groove in the bottom so that the MagSafe seats correctly.

P.S. Yes the top fits perfectly... HiRes, matte screen. And no, it doesn't get noticeably hot. Slippery, but looks great!

17. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

18. mainemanx macrumors newbie

Obviously didn't dent the cover of his old G4 PowerBook when it was out of the sleeve.

Hard shell case vs. sleeve: different products, different functions...different pros, different cons :)

19. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I'm interested in a hard case for my MBP, also; I just watched the installation and removal video for the Speck case and it appears there is an opening all along the hinge area (ventilation?).

Also, I guess you could always just use the lid cover, right? I'm more concerned about the lid getting scratched/dented than the bottom.

20. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

The white one looks the best imo... how are you getting on with it??

21. tomrhargreaves macrumors newbie

I had the same thing with my new 17" and an Incase.

The top case does require quite a bit of force. Go Hard.

(It fits perfect)

22. mainemanx macrumors newbie

I agree, it looks great. Surprisingly, it feels like the plastic isn't as slippery as the aluminum. But I am VERY careful with it.

Also, the Incase is a significantly better fit than the Speck... certainly much better than the Speck on the wife's recently-inherited Macbook :D

23. 1finite macrumors member

Just got mine, and the bottom piece doesn't fit properly either