Incase Hardshell or "Nude"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by txstchmike, Jun 16, 2014.

1. txstchmike macrumors newbie

Just got a 15" rMBP... Wondering what everyones opinion is on adding a case or keeping it "Au Naturel".... Thanks everyone!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use a Speck case on my MacBook Pro which also goes into a sleeve when in my backpack. It protects against scratches but even the clear one uglifies the Mac. PCs get no case.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never had a rMBP, but none of my PowerBooks or MacBook Pros have had cases. I don't plan on putti one on my MacBook Air either.

4. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

If you put it in a case you need to take it out periodically to get dirt out of it so it doesn't scratch the aluminum.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Especially if the case has breather holes or slits.

6. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I love a nude MacBook, but they are just too damn slippery without a rubberized case on them.

7. MUWarrior10 macrumors member

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I really like the shell Tech21 makes. I have their case for my iPhone 5s and my new 15inch rmbp.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I don't like cases. They don't really protect things when sitting on a desk and when I'm in motion the MBP is in it's padded compartment in my backpack. 2.5 years and not a scratch on it.

9. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

I agree with post above. When travelling, the laptop is in a fuzzy stretchy sock thing in my bag, and when I'm using it I don't use any casing. That way all you have to worry about is cats sleeping on the fuzzy laptop sock thing, because if they do, you'll be scooping cat hair out of the fans for months.

Bloody cat.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I keep a leather case on mine from Kuzy. Love it.

11. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I love the feel of the naked aluminum:p so I keep mine nude but I use an Incase sleeve for when its in my backpack

12. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I had a hard case when I first got my Macbook Pro, but soon realized that I take care of my electronics enough to not have to worry about it being naked. Right now I just use a skin from DecalGirl(Don't judge by the name of company, they make great skins) on the top screen.

I can live with a few imperfections, and the hard cases just make the laptop bulky and heavier. I've found that getting a really nice sleeve(I use a Waterfield Designs Sleeve) and being naked is the best approach.

Either way you go though, definitely get the Waterfield Sleeve. This sleeve is expensive, but the materials are top notch, the support pure class, and it even offers more protection than my entire backpack.

13. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

14. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Fully agree. I would prefer to keep it naked but then it is dangerous to carry it around with one hand. A bit design over function here I would say... (but it is beautiful to look at, no question).

I settled for a transparent case, it of course does not look as good as 'naked' but it is still ok.

This is the kind of case I am talking about:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Desertf0x9 macrumors newbie

I just got the ipearl for mine, fits great and it was cheap on amazon. I love that the feet in the back raises. Gives me a little peace of mind when transporting it around.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If I wanted a two-inch thick computer, I would bring my gaming laptop out.

One of the great things about the MacBook Pro is the aluminium finish and the thin and light chassis. Adding some hardshell which doesn't even protect against drops defeats buying this computer. If you want to prevent scratches get a skin.

17. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

That is pretty much what I have on both of mine, a crystal clear one on the 15" and a frosted one on the 13".
    About £10 each from eBay (Via China).

Barney

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

No hardshells for either of my MacBook Pros. I have an Incase neoprene sleeve for my 09 and a Rickshaw Bags sleeve for my 2013 rMBP.