Incase Hardshell Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ravensfan55, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

In the two months I've had my MBP it hasn't left my house once, no need to. However I will be traveling often soon and wanted to get a hard case. I've been reading reviews of the Speck and the Incase, and it seems that there are more positive reviews about the Incase out there. My questions are how does the case lock itself onto the laptop, and if the MBP with the case on it will fit in an Incase Neoprene Sleeve. Also how far back does the hinge open? I've read mixed reviews on that too.

Thanks

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I forget but I believe Apple will take returns though you'll have to pay a restocking fee if you don't take care of the packaging. Why not just give it a whirl ? I have one but its for a different model and its kind of hard to explain. I like it though.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If its a unibody then screen angle doesnt seem to be a problem. As far as holding it on, there are little tabs that hold on to the case. Ive had an incase on for over a year, no cracks, no dust has got in. And from what ive read, its a tight fit in a sleeve but it does fit. Ive accidentally smacked a few things with my mac and the case definitely saved it from a few scratches. I mostly have it to protect it from the careless fools at my university.

4. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Both Incase and Speck hardshell cases clamp on to the edges. Look into google images for a better idea.

Incase hard shell case will not go back all the way. Speck hard shell case will go way far behind than the incase.

Incase neoprene sleeve is best used on a naked laptop. Using a sleeve on top of a hardshell case might end up damaging either one of them or possibly both.

5. mpep macrumors newbie

i bought the black incase hardshell from BestBuy..(i hate BB but amazon was out of stock and i had a $10 BB gift card!) Anyways I put it on today and it fits great and i do not see the issues with putting the screen back that others have mentioned. maybe mine is a new version.

i did read in a few places that you have to do the bottom part first or you may have issues.

6. mrbeaverhousen macrumors member

I had a Speck See Thru Satin case when I first bought my MBP 13" in June. They hadn't adjusted them yet to completely fit the new MBP's so the fit was tight. After a few months I bought an updated Speck Hard Shell Case and the fit was just awful. The bottom half fit fine but the top was extremely loose. I cleaned it weekly but dust still managed to get through and left little dot mark son my lid. I tried cleaning it with iKlear a few times but the dots still won't go away. So, needless to say I really don't recommend this at all. I've kept my bottom part on but took off the lid. Now I use an Incase sleeve and there hasn't been a single scratch.

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Hey there,

Getting some physical protection for your machine would be a great idea! I have had a Speck See-Through case and it was no problem for me at all. In all my use with the case I was reluctant to actually find any real contraindications. The case fits tightly around the body of the MBP with small hinges that wrap around.

On second thought, there was one problem. The case would collect dust between the case and the body. Since the case was clear the dust was visible. That's all.

Now I am using the Carbon Fiber Shell from Ion-Factory! Best case ever!!! Check them out.

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

^ Wish they'd put one out for the 17" MBP!

I have the Speck hardcase. It fits well, the machine will open fully, but the clips aren't rock solid. They will occasionally pop off on one corner or the other, but I think that's more of an issue of it being an "open" or cup-shaped design.

9. ravensfan55 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a green Hardshell today, putting it on was a bit difficult buy I have it on now and I like it a lot, my screen goes back just as far as it does without the case.

The lid case does add some noticeable bulk when opening/closing. I usually leave my lid open when I'm not using it since my last laptop's hinges got really loose after a year of use.

Also, it fits in my neoprene sleeve. The soft touch on the Hardshell makes it a little difficult to get in but it does fit and zip just fine.