Incase I don't like the MBPs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhamerphoto, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

When updates to the MBPs are released tomorrow, if there are a bunch of features I don't like, what are the best options for buying a current generation model?
    Would the Apple Store still sell them?
    Will places like Best Buy or Future Shop?

I'm only concerned because of the very recent apparent leaked photo with no trackpad button and what appears to be a glossy-only screen.

Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say check the Market Place here. Looks like people are purging there systems already.

I love that you already don't like the new MBP. If thats how you feel then give it some time to digest a new thing. Remember how much you liked the name MacBook originally? Give it time.

3. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I just listed mine on eBay tonight. ah good, after seeing these pics maybe I won't take too much of a hit on the current gen.

I'm leaning towards buying a new MacBook.

4. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer purchasing a new unit rather than used, but I guess we'll see.

It's not so much preference as it is functionality. As a photography student I travel a lot while working on photos, which makes a glossy screen almost a non-option, while it's tough to be precise on a trackpad when you need to tap it to click.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

no problem. You can get one on the Apple online store in the refurbished section. I bet a few resellers will also be clearing out the old stock, as with college campus stores.

6. azharc macrumors member

As said above, college campus stores carry old models for quite a while.

And I'm a photo major and don't find the glossy screen irritating at all. Don't notice the reflections unless you look for them - with the exception of certain lighting situations.

Still, it's personal preference.

7. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

But to calibrate a glossy screen? Basically a waste of time.

My campus store doesn't carry them, seeing as we have an apple store less than a block away. I'll probably just go to Future Shop and demand an older one if I have to. We'll see what happens/

Thanks everyone!

8. johnkountz Guest

johnkountz

Refurbished is the way to go

It was mentioned previously, but merits repeating. Refurbished systems are without a doubt the best value. You get the same warranty you get with a new system, and all the rights of return should the system have ANY problems. I've purchased five refurbished systems from Apple during the last three years, I give them to nieces and nephews upon starting College.

9. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

Just because the picture has one with a glossy screen, does not mean they all will. You can get the current MBP with a glossy screen

assuming that picture is even real of course

10. phas3 macrumors 65816

i might sell mine, its 3 weeks old, I have the blackbook and if your interested if im set on selling this baby for the new macbook. thats if you want a blackbook though instead of a mbp

11. azharc macrumors member

But not impossible :D well, of course it's a downside, but worth it for me - everything just looks brilliant.

12. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Can I be your niece?

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely, refurb is the way to go for all of the reasons you state. Moreover, any new model will take some time to have all of the inevitable glitches spotted and ironed out.

Your nieces and nephews are lucky to have such a supportive uncle.

Cheers

14. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

There's a really sweet deal in the UK refurb store and i am so frickin tempted. i need a new machine to replace my almost 5 year old powerbook and i may as well just go for this...

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Can you still do the BTO in the refurbished store? There's actually some great deals in there.

So from someone with experience...are the BTOs actually USED and checked over or are they returned unopened for refund type deals. I would imagine if someone returned it unopened it would probably go back out as a "new" sale. Do they ever come w/ some normal wear & tear?

16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Nice! :D haha

17. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I don't necessarily believe those pics are real but the latest rumor w/ teeth is that matte is gone in the MBPs. I don't get it at all, its like they just did paper/scissors/rock to decide or something. I know alot of graphic designers & photographers who are going to be PISSED big time tomorrow if thats true. :eek:

18. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I don't believe the pictures either. Alas, we're only... five hours away now from the announcement?