Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saiz66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I have a white 13-inch Macbook and was looking to get a sleeve for it. The Incase Neoprene Sleeve 13-inch MacBook caught my eye. But on the Apple site, there were some issues with it, the main being that it leaves black marks on the white Macbook. A quote from one of the reviews:

"I've had a red Incase for about 4 months now and it has been great till this last weekend when I discovered red stains on the sides and bottom end of my white Macbook. It happened within one hour of placing the Mac in the sleeve and removing later to discover these stains."

Written by GP
22 January 2008

Anybody have this sleeve and any issues with it? Also feel free to give me suggestions for other sleeves if you like. Thanks in advance, guys!

hydrokayak

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Lancaster, NH
I have a white 13-inch Macbook and was looking to get a sleeve for it. The Incase Neoprene Sleeve 13-inch MacBook caught my eye. But on the Apple site, there were some issues with it, the main being that it leaves black marks on the white Macbook. A quote from one of the reviews:

"I've had a red Incase for about 4 months now and it has been great till this last weekend when I discovered red stains on the sides and bottom end of my white Macbook. It happened within one hour of placing the Mac in the sleeve and removing later to discover these stains."

Written by GP
22 January 2008

Anybody have this sleeve and any issues with it? Also feel free to give me suggestions for other sleeves if you like. Thanks in advance, guys!

No issues at all. It's a great case!

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I bought a black incase sleeve with a black interior from Apple's site with my MacBook about a week ago. I am really concerned about the staining. But after reading literally all the reviews in the Apple Store and searching the internet, it seems that owners are about 50/50 on whether they got stains. From what I understand, the ones with the red interior definitely did cause staining, but now that the black ones are more recently manufactured, this issue is with black stains. Like I said, about as many people who report black stains report just as strongly that their case hasn't stained their white MacBooks.

Many people seem to think that as long as you wash the case and let it dry beforehand, the extra dyes will be removed and it won't stain. I've washed mine, and I'm hoping I won't have an issue, but I haven't used it enough to know.

saiz66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
No issues at all. It's a great case!

Thanks, and may I ask how long you have been using it for?

I bought a black incase sleeve with a black interior from Apple's site with my MacBook about a week ago. I am really concerned about the staining. But after reading literally all the reviews in the Apple Store and searching the internet, it seems that owners are about 50/50 on whether they got stains. From what I understand, the ones with the red interior definitely did cause staining, but now that the black ones are more recently manufactured, this issue is with black stains. Like I said, about as many people who report black stains report just as strongly that their case hasn't stained their white MacBooks.

Many people seem to think that as long as you wash the case and let it dry beforehand, the extra dyes will be removed and it won't stain. I've washed mine, and I'm hoping I won't have an issue, but I haven't used it enough to know.

Thanks for the thorough reply, DMC. I seem to be facing the exact thing you are except I haven't made the purchase yet. I might give it a wash before putting my macbook in it. Only time will tell.

knucklekracks

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Incase Neoprene Sleeve Marks

I'm just wondering how those of you who have washed your cases are actually doing this. Are you just throwing it in the washing machine or hand washing it? I'm thinking of getting the black model but I want to make I'm not going to mark up my Macbook.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
have had the black case since i got my white Macbook in september 2006-- no stains here...never washed the case either but if i you want to, i would suggest hand washing

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I'm just wondering how those of you who have washed your cases are actually doing this. Are you just throwing it in the washing machine or hand washing it? I'm thinking of getting the black model but I want to make I'm not going to mark up my Macbook.

I washed my Incase (black interior) sleeve with some black shirts in a regular washing machine here at my dorm. I even put in a little bit of Tide detergent. I also used a dryer, and the case came out flawlessly. I literally cannot tell that it's been washed, and I'm hoping it will prevent the staining. I used the "delicates" setting on both the washer and dryer. I may even wash it again just to be extra careful.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hi folks,

just wondering if any of you have the 15.4" macbook pro with this sleeve?
I heard there is a 1" inch gap at the top which makes the mbp move a bit while in the sleeve?

simonwb

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Incase Neoprene Macbook sleve marks macbook

Hi, I recently bought a white macbook (a month ago) and one of the Incase sleves - got both from the Regent St store in London. I used the Incase sleeve (black with black lining) for the last 4 weeks with no problem... then i packed the sleeve inside a small bag to take on holiday. After a couple of days I noticed stains on either side of the macbook, near where the macbook presses against the thick part where the zip begins on the incase pouch. I think it has stained the macbook because the Incase pouch was under some pressure from the bag it was in and this was enough pressure to rub the neoprene Incase pouch against the Macbook and make the marks.

Maybe the reason it hadn't happened until then (and why it never happens to some people) is that it hadn't been packed tightly inside another bag creating enough pressure to make the marks.

I can't understand why apple sell this type of bag in their own stores if there are *ANY* instances where it will mark their products.

I am off to the store in Regent St to see if they can offer any advice on how to remove the marks. The marks look to me a bit like the outer coating on the macbook has been rubbed away.

If anyone knows how to remove these I would be most grateful.

S

skoog3

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Solution To Black Mark Issues

I have a 13 inch white Macbook and have recently noticed the black marks that everyone is talking about. I called Incase directly and they were extremely helpful:
To remove the black marks, use a soft pencil eraser. It works! (By the way, I did wash and dry my case 2 times before it touched my Macbook, but I still got black marks).

Not only did the operator give me the proper remedy, but she walked me through the procedure of how to return the case in exchange for a different colored case.

Go to http://www.goincase.com and give them a call if you are having issues. They were extremely helpful.

bumbledore

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
I`ve got this issue as well. Nasty black streaks along the sides of my white Macbook.

The eraser tip has not worked. I have emailed Incase and am waiting a reply. Anybody have any other ideas to remove these marks.

Please note I am in the UK so I don`t know American brand names of products. :)

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.