incase no longer recommended

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jusfer, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jusfer macrumors member

I was a staunch fan of the Snap Case from incase. The almost-nothing piece of plastic, made in China, for $35 plus shipping. Even after the first one broke off at the corners and was replaced under warranty, I still liked it. But now the replacement is developing the same cracks at all four corners, and warranty is over. Incase is also not willing to acknowledge the obvious design flaw and replace without warranty, so I cannot recommend this product any longer. You have been warned.

2. CupertinoRat macrumors member

My experience was exactly the same with 4 (four!) Incase cases. Cracked corners every time. How they can get away with selling this piece of $35 thrash is beyond me.

Which specific snap case do you have? The clear one? What's the name of your case?

3. Jusfer thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to hear you had to go through four of them. That's even OUCHer!

I started with the white snap case, which was then no longer available when I needed a replacement. I figured the white ones had a defect, which is why they were gone. Ha! Now I have the clear one.

The name of it? Crap Case.

4. AveChatman, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

AveChatman macrumors newbie

These things put me off shopping. I have the feeling we are all screwed by being sold all kinds of poop instead of the quality we're paying for. If only I could make my own cases and phones.....Arrghh..Maybe I should go and become a hermit somewhere, to chill from this plastic fantastic world...

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Both me and my wife had the Incase Slider Pro($40 plus tax) and the case develops cracks on its own. Haven't been back to Incase since.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Speck have always worked for me...Clear shells on both my MBP and MBA...No cracks even though I do take them off once a month to clean the machines.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

Add me and my girlfriend to the list as well...

Both had clear-frost snaps for our iPhone 4's and the both got very yellow with normal use and both had cracks at the stress points (hers more than mine). They sent us replacements, her's was good and mine was laughable at best. There were dozens of black imperfections literally imbedded into the soft touch coating. Not a problem they said, we'll get another one out to you. Guess what? CRACKED already, straight out of the retail packaging. I told them to stuff it and give me a refund (which they did) and I promptly bought a Leather/Argyle pouch from Sena that I am seriously in love with.

Meaning of this thread? When popularity of a brand grows exponentially over the course of a few years, most of the time, quality suffers.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future, for sure.

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

My $50-60 Incase for my macbook pro sucks too. Wearing off of the shell, cracks, etc. Awful quality for such expensive plastic.

9. oneapplegeek macrumors regular

oneapplegeek

Hmm..I have no problem with incase cases yet. I guess I haven't used it long enough. :rolleyes:

10. csunflip macrumors regular

I'm on my 4th Incase smoke snap case. Same issue with the corners cracking. Crappy material....

Incipio feather has gotten better. That's what I use now.

11. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

Not surprised. If they manufactured their stuff to use a high percentage of recycled plastic scraps, that could happen. Good for the environment perhaps, but that can happen. I'm not saying that is what they're doing, but its consistent with that sort of thing.

I think its fine if manufacturers do that, but don't charge $35 for it. I mean seriously, 35bones for a generic piece of plastic??

For the record, we use virgin ABS plastiqs in our stuff (ABS being the same stuff they make Legos out of).

12. abc123 macrumors 6502

I have an incase smoke snap case that I picked up in the free case program. It has now developed cracking around the corners and the grippy surface coating is starting to peal but is nearing 20 months in age now. I have also dropped my phone numerous times with this case, even onto concrete a couple of times with no damage. I've been happy with it overall especially considering it was free.

I'm in the market for a new case and not sure if I should risk it again given the recent negative feedback.

13. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

My incase started to peel its textured layer. Went caseless and never looked back.

14. kicko macrumors 65816

I loved incase for the 3g but on the 4/4s i think they missed the boat with the fit and quality.

15. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

I dropped Incase because of numerous cracks, moved to Speck for my 4s and iPad3 and love them.

16. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

Yeah, I recently dropped them too. They went from great customer service, to real rude bitchyness. Switcheasy are great. I'm still looking for the perfect light book style

17. gokart mozart, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Most cases with a snap on design would have such a problem. The plastic that they are typically made out of is bound to stress out and give way with enough removals and reapplications. inCase isn't the only one with this problem. Not that I'm trying to defend them or anything. Their quality has been slipping.

Big fan of them. I recently left their Capsule Rebel for a Graft leverage, but it was because I needed a change and not for any quality issues. My family has a few of their cases and they're all wonderful.

Their Nude case would be a good alternative to the inCase snap ons but I don't have any experience with that model.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Get the Slider. It's a lot better than the snap cases and I've had no issues with mine, either the iPhone 4 one I had for two years or my current iPhone 5 one.

Snap cases are junk. They also fail to protect the phone in a drop because they pop right off 90% of the time.

19. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

My only adive on the slider is to make sure you inspect the inside of the case. The one I bought for iPhone 4 had a little hang off piece of plastic that left a nice little scratch the length of my phone.

20. Jusfer thread starter macrumors member

Which slider are you referring to?

I am not familiar with the product(s) and a quick Google search revealed that there seem to be several brands who offer a slider case. So, which one?

21. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

I've had the same snap case on my iP4 since launch day. I guess i'm lucky.

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

InCase Slider (hence the name of the thread)

23. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I will be sure to avoid their cases in the future.

24. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I've used the snap case on the 4 and 4s for some time with no issues and have a slider on my iPhone 5. No issues with any of them. But I don't doubt those who have had issues. These cases are almost all ridiculously overpriced and too many have issues with peeling or cracking. to not honor their warranty is ridiculous. The slider is not my favorite design but I bought it to have something. I'm planning on replacing it with a Switcheasy case which is more like what I want.

25. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

*whistles* Psst. Hey buddy. Hey. Psst.

Check this out. www.twigcase.com. No plastic. Paper. Ya like paper, doncha?