Incase Perforated iPhone Case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ajohnson253, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Has anyone tried these cases? I was in the Apple store and they looked pretty clean but I didn't open the case to play with it or test it out.
    With there being holes, do you think that would be a major way for dirt and dust and what not to get in?

http://hypebeast.com/2009/12/incase-perforated-iphone-case/

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I've read that yes because of the wholes it can easily get dirty but otherwise they are great! I don't have one but tried it on at a Apple Store and it felt awesome :) Go try it on first!, they are cool about it.

3. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have one and love it. It feels great in the hand. One thing you will notice is that you will see impressions of the holes on the back of a black iPhone. They are easily wiped off and cleaned.

4. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

About how thin would you say it is. What material is it made out of? Do you have white? I am thinking of getting white since my phone is black I think that would look pretty nice. I just don't know if the white is going to get all dirty even though I keep my hands clean I just know how the shade white is.

5. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Hmmm...I would say it's about as thin as an the Powersupport AirJacket sold in the Apple store. Size is typical of these style of cases. As for the material,the case has a soft touch feel. I don't think it would get too dirty if you get white. I have the black and yes the White with Black iPhone does look pretty nice.

Check out some youtube vids before making your decision. If you decide to get one, Apple has a great return policy so you could always return it if you aren't happy.

HTH!

6. kicko macrumors 65816

Unless you like the style of it, it's pretty much much like any $2 snap on case.

7. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Hopefully it doesn't hold up like a $2.00 case though haha

8. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Can't be any worse than the.99 recession case! :D

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i can't image how much debris would get stuck in those tiny holes.. :D

10. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Surprisingly, not much....depends where you put your iPhone. LOL!

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Or how badly damaged the back of the iPhone will be. I don't want to imagine a bunch of little circles of dust damage all over the back.

12. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Seems only to be available from the US Apple Store. Anyone found a supplier in the UK?

13. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have had the case fir weeks and it's no big deal. A wipe down solves any problem. Since the case is so easy to take off, no big deal. If you are rough with your phone, this is not the case for you.

Actually I had worse problems with the Incase Slider with the way it has scratched the back of my iPhone.

14. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I used to use incase sliders until they kept on scratching my phones. Now I'm using the ecoshield made by agent 18. There is silicon bumpers on the inner part of the case were the iPhone back touches the case so it doesn't rub on any plastic. Also has it on the sides but it seems to grip the sides so much with the side silicon bumpers that it scuffs the bezel as if rubber scuffed it but not quiet a scratch. Not really a big deal, but ya anyways hopefully the perforated cas. Doesn't scratch the bezels or the back of my phone.

I still need to go back to apple to check it out. I just don't feel like driving 18 miles to get there yet. Maybe when I go to Seattle I'll just pick one up on the way.

15. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I went and picked this up to try it and jesus it's awful. The iPhone slides around in the case and it's not a tight fit.

It'll be going back.

17. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

You got a bad one. It happens. My case is very secure and fits like a glove.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've found with Incase that if you get one bad one then the majority of them will be the same way. I'm not wasting my time returning them to find a good one.

19. Jelsoft Sux macrumors member

I'm thinking about getting one more or less to help dissipate the heat from the phone. My phone gets hot when used with the Magellan Car Kit. This is either from the screen being locked on (my choosing) or heat from the car kit transferring to the rear of the phone. The iFrogz case I have now is rather thick and I'm afraid traps the heat as opposed to letting the phone cool off naturally. So I was thinking this could be the right solution for this issue. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

20. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Got mine today. Here's a quick review:

Pro's: The Incase Perforated Snap case is a perfect fit on my 3GS. It's incredibly lightweight and flexible, and is very easy to fit. It provides good scratch protection for the back of the iPhone, and wraps around most of the bezel including the corners. The case sits around 0.5mm proud of the bezel, meaning it passes the "face down" test - put the iPhone face down on a surface and it rests on the edges of the case rather than the glass screen or bezel. The volume and mute buttons are accessible through cut-outs in the side of the case. I bought the black case, and the perforated surface has a matte finish with a slightly "rubbery feel" - very tactile. Finally, there's a good chance my 3GS might now fit the Apple Universal Dock - something I'll try on my next visit to an Apple Store.

Con's: The Perforated Snap Case leaves the top of the bezel, and the sleep button, unprotected. Likewise, the bottom of the bezel next to the speaker, microphone and dock connector is also unprotected. If you carry your iPhone around in a pocket, then over time dust and lint is likely to be trapped in the perforations. However I'm fairly confident that a quick rinse under the tap should get the case clean.

Conclusion: I really like this case for its clean, minimalist look and feel. Probably not for anyone who needs maximum protection for their iPhone, but if your 3GS leads a fairly uneventful life then it's worth considering.

21. Jelsoft Sux macrumors member

I bought mine from the Apple Store today. It's definitely lighter and thinner than my iFrogz case. But the trade-off is the lack of protection this case will offer. It's essentially only good for scratch protection and having a better grip than a bare iPhone. For me I'm hoping the holes will help dissipate the heat when used in the Magellan Car Kit. It seems to really cook in that thing.

As noted previously, it doesn't have a snug fit. You can see gaps around the bezel and push it in. I don't know if it will regain it's form again. So we'll see...

22. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

like very much the Incase Perforated Snap Case using it since a couple of weeks now. well made, easy to snap on (it's very flexible) but it collect lints and debris through the little holes. it definitely needs to be kept clean to avoid scratches on the iphone's back :)

23. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

After 5 weeks use, my case is in excellent condition and still a perfect fit. Small amount of dust build-up on the back of the iPhone. but easily removable with a wipe, and no signs of scratching. Wonder if Incase are considering a similar case for the iPad?